Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Ged's Utility Room

Post  slipperman12 on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 7:44 pm

Hi,
Brian :  Thanks - That's good news Smile

Terry :
MSTS_AE_Fix
Attached is a program to remove the Activity Editor values from the HWRenderer Registry key.
Before the values are deleted, a backup of the HWRenderer subkey is taken (just in case!) and saved as file :   MSTS_AE_Registry_Values.reg  in the same folder as the .exe file.  If this file is present and is more than 60 bytes in length a warning is given and the run may be continued or aborted.  The length of 60 bytes is used so that I can include a dummy file in the installer when the utility is officially released.
Other than message boxes, there is no "normal" Windows Forms display, as it wouldn't serve any purpose!

At this stage, no readme is included, but I think you'll find it all pretty self-explanatory Smile  Unpack the .zip file to a temporary folder and run the .exe file from there.  It doesn't need setting to "Run as administrator" (I hope!) as it should be built-in.

Testing for this program is difficult because I don't know which missing value/values cause the disappearing consists problem, so all I can do is to make sure it does "what it says on the tin"!

Your comments, suggestions or bug reports are welcome Smile

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT : The attachment has been deleted and replaced by an updated version, attached to my post of 24-04-2017.

Last edited by slipperman12 on Mon 24 Apr 2017, 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth on Sat 22 Apr 2017, 1:08 am

Hi all,

Just a minor suggestion for ease of use - we are slowly getting quite a nice range of little utilities from Ged. Each one is installed in its own folder under the C:\ drive. I've been rationalizing my main C: drive folder structure as it was getting too long.

So, I made a new folder <   1MSTS-GedsUtilities   >, I then moved each of Ged's utilities into the 'common' folder, re-linked the shortcuts on the desktop to their new location, and deleted the empty individual folders. I had to rename the Uninstall.exe file with each utility name before uninstall (i.e. SwapUninstall.exe), but that was the only change.

I now have all of Ged's utilities in the one place - easy to find, easy to use.

Regards, Brian

"Any railway that paints their locomotives such a magnificent shade of red, must be the most superior in the land" (apologies to the late David Jenkinson).
ShortNorth

http://shortnorth.steam4me.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells on Sat 22 Apr 2017, 11:40 am

Hi Brian,

You've beaten me to it - I was thinking of doing the same thing to reduce the amount of clutter on the desktop and to keep all of Ged's utilities in one place. At the same time you've also shown the pitfall to avoid in respect of the uninstall files. Thank you and also to Ged for all his hard work in producing these excellent utilities.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Sat 22 Apr 2017, 12:53 pm

Hi Stephen and Brian,
Many thanks for your kind words Smile
I've taken on-board your comments about the names of the uninstallers. I must admit that it's due to laziness on my part in that, in most cases, I've let the installer creator name the uninstaller, when it's quite easy to give it a unique name! Starting with the next/released versions of MSTS_RE_ScrnSizer and MSTS_AE_Fixer, the uninstallers will be identifiable. The same will apply to my other utilities should they need to be updated for any reason.

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  terrycunliffe on Sat 22 Apr 2017, 1:37 pm

Thanks Ged,
I can only really test and comment the next time I get the missing consists issue.Smile
(I'm actually starting to write activities again Very Happy )
However, my thoughts are as long as the utility finds and deletes all the AE_ entries from within the registry from within all 3 possible location folders i.e. HK_Current_User, HK_Local_Machine and HK_Users,* then that would suffice. There is no real need for the utility to replace any default entries, as these are re-generated automatically when AE is restarted.
*Note, this relates to Windows 7, and could possibly be different for Win 10?
Thanks again for taking the time and trouble to develop this.
Cheers,
T
terrycunliffe

Back to top Go down

MSTS_AE_Fix

Post  slipperman12 on Sat 22 Apr 2017, 3:26 pm

Hi Terry,
Thanks Smile
The version of MSTS_AE_Fix I attached only removes the "AE_" values from the HK_Local_Machine Key.  The reason for this is that when I checked the Registry on my main PC (Win7 & Win 10), the HK_Current_User folder only had the Route Editor main screen values in it.  This morning, I was updating my laptop (Win 7), which also has MSTS installed, so I checked all the Registry entries and found that the HK_Current_User HWRenderer contained the full complement of entries!  That being so, I will change the program so that it also deletes any AE entries from that key.  I don't think it's necessary to do the same with the HK_Users key because that seems to be updated automatically from HK_Current_User.  I do stand to be corrected on that point, but I'm not certain whether the address within the HK_Users key would be the same for all users - in mine, the first subkey is :  S-1-5-21-17476735-3791040644-3301794569-1000

Maybe I should mention here that hwfix only reset the HK_Local_Machine key, which is why I didn't consider any other keys.

Cheers,
Ged

Last edited by slipperman12 on Sat 22 Apr 2017, 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

MSTS_RE_ScrnSizer

Post  slipperman12 on Sat 22 Apr 2017, 3:49 pm

Hi Brian,
I have amended the name of the uninstaller and added a little improvement (?).

The attached will be the officially released version, so long as no problems are found with it!  

I have removed the previous version from its post.

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT (25-04-2017) : The program has been released into this site's file library and is available for download. To avoid any confusion, the version attached to this post has been removed.

Last edited by slipperman12 on Tue 25 Apr 2017, 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth on Sun 23 Apr 2017, 1:16 am

Hi Ged,

Yep ! the updated version works OK - I like the 'little improvement' - if the screen res is already at the required setting it saves me having to re-select and reset all over again - a nice little touch.

Thanks again

Brian

"Any railway that paints their locomotives such a magnificent shade of red, must be the most superior in the land" (apologies to the late David Jenkinson).
ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Post  terrycunliffe on Sun 23 Apr 2017, 8:20 pm

Re MSTS_AE_Fix
Hi Ged,
Worked a treat! Very Happy
21 AE entries removed.
Nice one OK
Many Thanks
T
terrycunliffe

Back to top Go down

RE: MSTS_AE_Fix

Post  slipperman12 on Mon 24 Apr 2017, 2:53 pm

Hi Terry,
I have modified the program to also remove any "AE_" entries from the HWRenderer subkey of  HKEY_CURRENT_USER.  

I agree with you that the export of the original Registry values served no purpose (except for my testing!), so have removed it.

The only visible difference between this one and the previous version is that the Completion message now shows the number of AE entries removed from each of the Registry keys.

The new version is attached and the last one has been deleted from my previous post.

If you wish to check this one, I suggest you delete the old one as there's no indicated difference between them, except the date of the .exe file.

EDIT - 27-04-2017 - The attachment has been removed as the program is now available from the file library.

Cheers,
Ged

Last edited by slipperman12 on Thu 27 Apr 2017, 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

MSTS_RE_ScrnSizer

Post  slipperman12 on Tue 25 Apr 2017, 10:01 am

Hi,
This utility is now available from this site's library and from that at Elvastower.  As soon as it's been approved, it will also be downloadable from UKTS and trainsim.com.

Many thanks to Brian and Alec for their help in testing the program Smile

I have now removed the attachment from my post.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

MSTS_AE_Fix

Post  slipperman12 on Thu 27 Apr 2017, 1:46 pm

Hi All,
This utility is now available from the TSSH library (and will be from the libraries at UKTS, TS.com and Elvastower.com when approved).

I have removed it from my post of 24 April 2017.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Re: MSTS_RE_ScrnSizer

Post  slipperman12 on Sat 29 Apr 2017, 10:04 pm

Hi All,
A user on the Elvastower Forum has asked if I'd consider allowing the user to enter their own resolution. Although this would be easy enough to include, I'm not sure if it's what most users would want; it would mean them specifying a value for, say, the width and the program could calculate the appropriate height.

Although I'm not a route builder, I've noticed there is a large difference in size between 1024x768 and 1280x1024, so I wonder if an intermediate size would be useful, with, probably, another between 1280x1024 and 1600x1200. It has also been pointed out that the default resolution (646x524) has a ratio of about 3.7:3 and not 4:3 as in my utility (and the original MSTS-scrsz program).

Please may I have comments from "regular" route builders?

Thanks,
Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth on Sun 30 Apr 2017, 1:00 am

Hi Ged,

Using the 'old' screensize program, the maximum practical limit was 1024 x 768 and to all intents and purposes was quite acceptable, bearing in mind the screen limits in that era.

Many of today's users, like me, are working on wide-screen laptops, and once you get past the 'budget' laptops, the common standard now seems to be 1920 x 1080, which of course suits the 1280 x 1024 RE size quite nicely. I did try your, now omitted, intermediate res of 1152 x 864 - this also works OK, but of course 1280 x 1024 is better.

Many years ago, I had a nice big 21" CRT monitor and a high-end graphics card which could run at 1600 x 1200 - it was quite nice to work with, until the card and monitor got fried in a PC meltdown. The 1600 x 1200 res would only be available to those who have very high-end cards and monitors and would be the exception rather than the rule.

As a regular route author, I'm more than happy with the utility you have provided, the significant increase from 1024 x 768 to 1280 x 1024 makes it so much easier to work with RE.

In summary, I really don't think you need to change your utility, it covers all common bases.

Regards, Brian

ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Sun 30 Apr 2017, 3:51 pm

Hi Brian,
Thanks for your reply Smile

I suppose that, whatever you do, there's always somebody wanting more!!

I'm always prepared to make changes, if I can see they'd be beneficial. In this case, adding a couple of extra options wouldn't affect the operating simplicity of the program, but allowing the user to enter their own value/s is, I think, a step too far!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

MSTS_Swap

Post  slipperman12 on Tue 16 May 2017, 3:22 pm

Hi All,
I have uploaded a new version (1.6) of this utility to the TSSH library. It will also be available from the UKTS, TS.com and Elvastower libraries when approved.

There are no functional changes in this version.  Extra validation checks have been made on the Registry values, which are essential for this program to run successfully.  Originally, I didn't think these checks would be required (but we all know what 'thought' did!!).  However, I got a system error when running MSTS_Swap; on checking the Registry, found that one of the values was missing, although the main key was present (which is all I'd previously checked).  I don't know how it happened, but if it can happen to me, it can happen to anybody!!

A reminder - install this new version into the same folder as the earlier one so that the same "working" files can be used.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

MSTS_ActMan

Post  slipperman12 on Wed 17 May 2017, 8:04 pm

Hi All,
The seed of this utility is a recent post on one of the MSTS Forums, where the user installed an activity designed for a specific version of a route into a different installed version.  Due to changes to the TDB, the activity caused MSTS to crash.  To solve this, all that's required is to identify the .act, .pat, .srv, .trf and (if unique) .con files, then delete them.  The problem is how to find those files - experienced users will probably look at the individual files, but how do you determine whether a consist is used elsewhere in the installation?

In order for the program to correctly deal with the files "belonging" to an activity, it records each Path, Service and Traffic file used by each activity in the selected route, together with the number of activities each is used by.  Also, a record of consists used by each activity in the installation, together with the number of separate activities each is used in.  The reason for maintaining the number of times a file is used is to ensure that it's only deleted if it's only used once (ie by the activity selected for removal).

As well as the activity deletion function, a list of files used by the selected activity and a list the .pat, .srv, .trf files used by all the route's activities with the .con files used by all the activities in the installation may be displayed.

I don't know if this will be a useful program, or not, but would welcome your comments, either pros or cons - I don't mind  Smile   I do have some ideas for possible enhancements, but they are just that - ideas!!

If you'd like to "have a look" at it, just ask - it should work (like my other utilities) under XP so long as .Net Framework v4.0 is installed. At present, there is no readme, but I've tried to make it as self-explanatory as possible!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells on Thu 18 May 2017, 11:12 am

Hi Ged,

I seem to remember that some, if not all of these functions are available with Trainstore but to get the full results everything needs to be unstored.
Your idea looks useful, especially if it removes the necessity of using Trainstore first - I'm not running Trainstore down as I wouldn't be without it.
I hope I'm not talking rubbish but if I am please say so as I won't be offended.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest on Thu 18 May 2017, 11:26 am

Ged, as you known, I am always ready to help. Send it on!

David
dforrest

Location : St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Thu 18 May 2017, 1:31 pm

Hi Chaps,
Thanks for your responses Smile

@Stephen : I wasn't aware that Train Store had such a function, but to use my utility, if TS or Mini Loader is in use, all data must be unstored first.

@David : I'll get a copy of the .exe file to you later today - it won't have any documentation (I'm about to start on it!), installer or icon, but I think you'll be able to find your way around it!

I mentioned that the main purpose for creating this utility was to be able to delete an activity, and its associated files, if it causes problems for MSTS. However, I should point out that this facility doesn't have to be used - once an activity is selected, the initial list option is to show all the files used by it.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest on Thu 18 May 2017, 2:55 pm

slipperman12 wrote:Hi All,
I have uploaded a new version (1.6) of this utility to the TSSH library.  It will also be available from the UKTS, TS.com and Elvastower libraries when approved.

There are no functional changes in this version.  Extra validation checks have been made on the Registry values, which are essential for this program to run successfully.  Originally, I didn't think these checks would be required (but we all know what 'thought' did!!).  However, I got a system error when running MSTS_Swap; on checking the Registry, found that one of the values was missing, although the main key was present (which is all I'd previously checked).  I don't know how it happened, but if it can happen to me, it can happen to anybody!!

A reminder - install this new version into the same folder as the earlier one so that the same "working" files can be used.

Cheers,
Ged

Ged, when installed, this version does not display a desktop icon as it did before.

David
dforrest

Location : St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Thu 18 May 2017, 4:01 pm

Hi David,
Sorry, I can't offer any solution to that!

I've just downloaded the version from UKTS & TSSH and both display the same icon as the previous version, even when the original was completely removed.  I can't see those on TS.com and ET.com being any different because they have exactly the same .zip file (famous last words!!),

Does anybody else have the same problem, please?

There is a problem with the entry in my TSSH download area in that if you click the image you get v1.3, but if you click on "Download the file" you get v1.6!  Having said that, v1.3 also shows the icon!!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top