Huddersfield and Environs - LNWR & LYR - 1920

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Huddersfield and Environs - LNWR & LYR - 1920

Post  ShortNorth on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 12:39 am

Having successfully got a reasonable LNWR route out in the form of Black Country LNWR 1920, I have now moved on to my next route.

As well as being a LNWR route, this one will also cover a fair amount of LYR territory - got to have somewhere to run Alec's nice LYR wagons !

I have been fascinated by the Huddersfield lines for over 40 years or so - in fact over the years, I have built a 4mm scale 'what if" model of Huddersfield Midland, based on a hypothetical expansion of the MR line to Newtown Yard - in real life, WW1 stopped the MR from building their proposed passenger station, so only a goods branch was actually built.

The route will be built in several stages :

Stage 1 - covers :

The LNWR Colne Valley main lines from Standedge Tunnels down through Huddersfield to Heaton Lodge Junction, then uses running powers over the LYR lines through Mirfield to Dewsbury Junction where the LNWR Leeds Old Line diverges at Ravensthorpe (line ends just past Ravensthorpe). The LNWR lines also include part of the Leeds New Line from Heckmondwyke Junction to Battyeford (future extensions will take this line to Gomersal Tunnel). Also included is the start of the Kirkburton branch - Deighton is included (future extensions will take this line to Kirkburton).

The LYR Calderdale lines from Elland Tunnel through Mirfield to just past Dewsbury Junction. The LYR lines also include the start of the LYR lines to Low Moor through the Spen Valley from Mirfield, the LYR lines to Low Moor through the Bailiff Bridge branch, and the LYR lines from Huddersfield through Springwood Junction tpwards Penistone.

The MR Newtown Goods branch from Mirfield to Newtown.

Stage 2 - will cover the extension of the LNWR lines to Gomersal Tunnel, and Kirkburton - the extension of the LYR lines from Mirfield to Low Moor via the Spen Valley and the lines from Brighouse through Bailiff Bridge to Low Moor. This will also cover the LYR line from Lightcliffe Tunnel through Low Moor to Bowling Tunnel (it is unlikely I will extend through Bowling Tunnel down to Bradford).

Stage 3 - will cover the extension of the LYR lines from Huddersfield to the Meltham Branch, the Holmfirth Branch, and Clayton West Branch and part of the line to Penistone, ending in Cumberworth Tunnel.

Note that many of the ends of the lines are 'book-ended by tunnels' - a natural place to break the scenery elegantly !

Stage 1 is well under way !

Regards, Brian

"Any railway that paints their locomotives such a magnificent shade of red, must be the most superior in the land" (apologies to the late David Jenkinson).
ShortNorth

http://shortnorth.steam4me.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Huddersfield and Environs - LNWR & LYR - 1920

Post  StephenRWells on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 10:34 am

Hi Brian,

This looks a terrific route and will certainly give us a good run with Alec's coaches and wagons, not forgetting the necessary engines which have also been produced to pull them. I will look forward to your progress reports.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth on Sun 07 May 2017, 2:09 am

Thought it was time for a little teaser :

LYR Bradford Local in Platform 6 at Huddersfield

"Any railway that paints their locomotives such a magnificent shade of red, must be the most superior in the land" (apologies to the late David Jenkinson).
ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Sun 07 May 2017, 10:16 am

. . . and very nice too! Keep up the excellent work!

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Mon 08 May 2017, 1:17 pm

Here's a screen shot of an LYR Class 27 hauling some coal wagons from east to west on Brian's latest route. A copy has been supplied for comment, etc.

This is looking very good and should provide an excellent location for LYR and LNWR formations.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth on Tue 30 May 2017, 12:26 am

It's been very quiet on these forums for a few days, so maybe time for a few more teasers :

The Mills of Elland spread up the valley

LYR 0-6-0 shunts onto Elland Viaduct

Brian

ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Tue 30 May 2017, 9:19 am

Please keep teasing! Thanks for another pair of good screenshots.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Wed 07 Jun 2017, 12:14 pm

The route continues to develop and look very good! Here's screen shot of LYR Class 23 0-6-0ST at the head of a permanent way train - somewhat relevant methinks - including a 15T hand crane from Brian's excellent NSW downloads.

The locomotive is one by Dave Robinson.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Sun 09 Jul 2017, 11:27 am

This route is surpassing all expectations as shown by this screen shot from the latest Beta version. A LYR Class 27 crosses the viaduct with a Loco Coal train, and it should be observed that the latest 1920s vehicles can be seen on the road below.

The interest in MSTS may not be what it was but so long as Brian et al continue to produce such excellent work there's still hope for we diehards! Once again many thanks Brian, and I only wish that I could devote more time to my own virtual modelling!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 1:11 am

Hi Alec,

Nice screenie - even if I do say so myself Very Happy

I don't know if you realise it, or not, but you have actually setup a correct train in the right place, Paddock Viaduct. The LYR sourced an amount of loco coal from the two collieries, Emley Moor and Park Mill, on the Clayton West branch, so loco coal trains from Clayton West to Mirfield shed hauled by LYR 0-6-0's are quite correct !

Regards, Brian

ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top