New Member Introductions

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi Everyone

Post  Lorenz163 on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 12:48 pm

My name is Laurie an ex pat living in Holland and, have a keen interest on everything to do with steam especially, UK locos.

Lorenz163

Back to top Go down

Hi Everyone

Post  Lorenz163 on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 12:54 pm

My name is Laurie an English expat living in Holland. My main interest is UK steam.

Lorenz163

Back to top Go down

Re: New Member Introductions

Post  Markh5682 on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 12:57 pm

Hi Laurie.

Welcome to the Train sim safe house forum. Very Happy

Mark
Markh5682

http://www.youtube.com/user/markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP on Sun 23 Aug 2015, 12:36 pm

Welcome to the forum Laurie. Very Happy

Andy - TSSH Footplate Crew
35005CP

http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal on Sun 23 Aug 2015, 1:18 pm

Hello Laurie,welcome to the Club (Lorenz163). Very Happy

Roger
neanderthal

Back to top Go down

Post  RIGFindlay on Mon 24 Aug 2015, 4:51 pm

Welcome to the Safe House. It is worth looking at "View Posts since your last visit" every day or whenever you can. It is surprising what you learn, and if you get stuck there are plenty of knowledgeable people to help you out. Roderic

RIGFindlay

Back to top Go down

Post  dikkidee on Mon 16 Nov 2015, 7:00 pm

Hi All,  I have today joined the forum - Thank you moderators.

A bit about myself:  I am 61yrs old and I live in Herne Bay Kent, UK   Originally Born in the East End of London I moved from there when I was 17 and made my way in the world.  Married for the last 43 years with three Grown up Children and Four Grandchildren.  My Eldest Grandson was born with steam in his blood!!  I had many jobs after I left school, best described as I went to the University of Life!

At the age of 17 I joined BR as a Leading Railman at Great Chesterford Essex on the Liverpool Street to Cambridge Mainline.  I was quickly encouraged to visit the Signal box and within a few weeks I was training to be a Signalman.  I did not go to the Signalling School at Euston instead I was sent to a small signal box at Six Mile Bottom on the Cambridge to Newmarket Branch.  A strange little box at the side and with a gated crossing over the main A11 road which was exteremely busy in those days before the M11 was built. On Newmarket Horse Race Days we had to have a Policeman there to stop the traffic so that the gates could be closed from the wheel in the signal box. After 4 weeks I passed for the Rules and Regs and went to my new Signalmans poisiition at Audley End Jct, the next box down from Great Chesterford, passing out there two weeks later. A year or so later I transferred to the Midland Mainline, first as a Signalman at Leagrave, just north of Luton and then promotionn to a Kentish Town Relief Signalman and a while later, further promotion to a General Purpose Relief Signalman at Bedford. It was a fabulous time which I fell honoured to have experienced. I managed to learn and work every signal box from St Pancras 'Power Box' (Ohh Err it controlled all of two miles of track in and around St Pancras) north to Sharnbrook, with the exception of Napsbury which I learned but was never passed out for - and all the boxes on the Bedford to Bletchley Branch(Varsity Line) including Bletchley Power Box. Indeed I lived in the Station House at Millbrook.  Sadly in 1978 that all started to end, the wires went up the signals came down and a virtually new railway was built and redundancies followed in the name of progress - a way of life died.  
I left the railway never to return, instead I joined the Police Service being an Officer until I retired 30 years later in 2008.  I now run an Off Road Driving and Motorcycle Training Business.

I clearly remember my first encounter with the railway and Steam Locomotives - My Grandparents are buried in a cemetery in Woking, Surrey. When I was about 4 years old we were waiting for the bus outside Woking Station and I kept worrying my Brother, who was 11 years older than me, to lift me up so I could see over the wall.  He did so and the sight that I saw has stayed with me throughout my life I station full of three or four great black steaming monsters, I distinctly remember one was the shape of what 1 later understood to be a Bullied. Wow - that was it I had caught the disease and was smitten - no cure known to man!!

I got into MSTS soon after it was first published extended it, built it up and used it as a model railway.  I have two routes on UKTS but both are now rather old and unfortunately I do not have the time, Patience and Skills that the likes of Don Hinton and others have these days, much respect to them.  I am now well into Open Rails and at the moment I am slowly working my way through the .eng files of my locos to make them suitable and realistic for use with Open Rails.  I am not interested in 'Other Sims'  

There is so many things that I want to learn and do with my MSTS/Open Rails that I think I migtht need another long lifetime to do it all!!

Regards, Dick.

dikkidee

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 on Mon 16 Nov 2015, 8:10 pm

Hi Dick, welcome to the forum. OK

Mark
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP on Mon 16 Nov 2015, 9:00 pm

Hi Dick,

Wow, what a great story and so glad to see you over here from UKTS! I see I'm not a million miles away from you! I m currently sorting out a few issues I am having with MSTS, that I am gradually getting there with. But I am currently modelling the MHR on MSTS.... Hopefully it will be true to form! Always colleting new data to get it as spot on as I possibly can! Wink

I also have a few oter things in the Pipeline and still trying to resolve a few issues with my next batch of Hastings DEMU sets, of which I have given permission for Danny to use the model/s and use on his up and coming route.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it over here and a very warm welcome to the forum! Very Happy OK

Cheers

Andy

Andy - TSSH Footplate Crew
35005CP

http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Mon 16 Nov 2015, 9:29 pm

Hi Dick,
Greetings, and a warm welcome to the Forum Smile

I am not interested in 'Other Sims'
Are there any others?? Shocked

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Mon 16 Nov 2015, 11:02 pm

Good to see another new face on TSSH, and in particular your experience with Open Rails should be of great assistance to us all.

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 12:49 pm

My name is Jonathan David.
I decided to sign up after watching the Forum for a couple of years, partly in response to the recent comments about lack of activity and partly to encourage rufuskins to continue with his pre-Grouping projects.
I downloaded his LNWR carriages when they were first posted. It took a few minutes to sort out the misnamed folder but much less than many other downloads, especially those from trainsim.com which often seem to need skill in shape editing etc - which I don't have. The carriages are very nice and look good on the Oldham loop, even if the scenery is rather out of period.
I have written quite a few activities for my won use but do not feel them to be good enough for uploading. Also, I change all couplings to the same type, which may cause problems for others.
I also create PO wagons using photographs from books to create new skins for existing wagons, but have not uploaded them because they are not my copyright.
Some of the recent routes are really excellent, and I am looking forward to V3 of Thames Trent - though will it need a new name?
Top of my wish list for a route would the the GWR Pontypool to Neath line! One can but dream.
When not simming, I model in EM, GWR mid Wales in the 1930s and Rhymney Railway/GWR joint in 1912.
And I am involved in the publications work of the Historical Model Railway Society and the Welsh Railways Research Circle.
You can find me on RMWeb as corneliuslundie.

BTW I thought I posted a similar message last week but it never appeared. I obviously did something wrong.

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 1:16 pm

Hi Jonathan,
A very warm welcome to the TSSH Forum Smile

I hope you'll find us a friendly lot here! As has been said before, if you've got any queries about MSTS and/or Open Rails, just ask and we'll do our best to help.

If you've not browsed it already, you'll find a lot of useful information in the "Helpful Facts and Links for MSTS" section.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  ianmacmillan on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 4:40 pm

Hi
Welcome to the forums.

You say you are interested in PO wagons.
Have you tried my paintkits?

on UKTS
File ID: 12952 Name:RCH 1923 7plank End Door Mineral Paintkit
File ID: 12858 Name:RCH 7plank Fixed End Wagon Paintkit
File ID: 13777 Name:RCH 1923 5 Plank Open Wagon Paintkit

These use PAINT SHOP PRO selections to colour each part and add highlights and shadows.
Full instructions are included.
No restrictions on uploading your finished masterpiece.
I am also happy to beta test repaints and offer help.

If you don't have it there is a free version of PSP available but I can't find the link to it.
Perhaps someone reading this knows.

For lettering I find these fonts useful.
http://www.fontspace.com/michael-d-adams

ianmacmillan

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 7:01 pm

Hi Jonathan.

Welcome to TSSH.

I echo all the above, We also have a comprehensive list of links to MSTS and related websites in our useful links section, and a directory of practically all UK routes available with info and links.

If you feel any of your acts could be of interest to others, I'm sure someone will beta test it for you, I had an act ready to upload and the good people on here beta tested it for me and found some timing issues which I still have to resolve when I get round to it.

I had a missing post a while back, I can only conclude that I clicked on preview instead of send, maybe that's what happened to your original post.

ianmacmillan wrote:If you don't have it there is a free version of PSP available but I can't find the link to it.
Perhaps someone reading this knows.

Here is the newest version of  PSP (PSP X6) I could find available for download, I haven't tested this download as I already have the latest PSP (X8) so exercise caution as you would with any unknown download source.............

http://downloads.tomsguide.com/Paint-Shop-Pro-Photo-X2,0301-635.html

On Google search it described it as a free download, but on the web-page it is listed as shareware, older versions of (JASC) PSP are available for free download.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Mark.

Mark
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 11:09 pm

Jonathan,
Welcome to the TSSH forum, and I hope you find help on here for whatever you do. I would like to endorse the recommendation for the Helpful Facts area, and also to point out that the UK Route Directory gives a lot of useful information on what's available.
On a personal note I would like to thank you for your positive comments on my LNWR coaches, and perhaps I ought to reconsider the status of these coaches. If I had more data I would of course like to develop LYR coaches, which would be even more relevant to the Oldham Loop.
I look forward to seeing some screenshots of your work assuming these would not compromise permission issues. Certainly screenshots of LNWR coaches on the Oldham Loop would be interesting, especially if they were running through Milnrow!
Regards,

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David on Mon 15 Aug 2016, 1:00 pm

To rufuskins: Your word is my command, though I imagine that Milnrow's railway facilities were considerably greater in the past. These scenes are on NW England V3. The loco is Hardwick from Marcel's Swiss site.

And to Ian thank you. In fact, I have created the PO wagons simply my scanning photos from books, adjusting them in Gimp to square them up and get the proportions right and then dropped them onto existing texture files. I will post some whan I have done some screen grabs. All but one was a wagon which was originally black, white and grey, though I did colour one up. They are mostly Forest of Dean wagons.
However, I did also alter some LNWR wagons to replace the lettering with diamonds (or in some cases add diamonds, depending on the photos I had). I simply copied the folder and changed its name and the wagon names by adding diamonds at the end. They all worked but one, and I wonder if that was because the resulting wagon file name was too long.
You will realise that as a result I have not changed the names of the.s, .sd or texture files, which is alright as long as they are in a differently named folder. However, it does confuse the consist editor a bit when it comes to the thumbnails of the wagons one is choosing.
So here are a couple more shots of Milnrow with an LNWR goods train with wagons with diamonds.

Jonathan
Thanks to Mark for explaining how to insert photos. Duly saved as a help file in my Documents folder so hopefully I shan't have to ask again.

Last edited by Jonathan David on Mon 15 Aug 2016, 6:59 pm; edited 3 times in total

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 on Mon 15 Aug 2016, 6:09 pm

Hi Jonathan.

Here is how to insert an image..........

Click on "host an image" (fig 1) drag and drop your pic into the space provided. or click on "select files" and choose the file from your computer.

Select "800px" for pic size, and click on "send the image to the selected category" (fig 2)

Click on "insert the image into the editor" (fig 3)

If more than one picture, select "send all", then "insert all".

The picture will then appear in your post as below......................

If you use an image hosting site such as photobucket, you can post your pics direct from there.

Hope that helps.
Mark.

Mark
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  Milamber on Tue 16 Aug 2016, 10:26 am

Good Morning from Templecombe.  Firstly, my apologies for my tardiness in introducing myself.  My name is Maurice and, primarily, am interested in Flight Simulation,  BUT  my 11 year old grandson is "trains crackers".  and has a fairly decent 00 layout.  He enjoys coming up here especially when there are "steamers" calling here or passing through.  There is also a "miniature railway" running small steam engines and you can ride on the carriages, for a fee of course.  I purchased MSTS [ and the other commercial payware] so that he can attempt driving trains on a variety of routes when there is little else to do. Whilst he is in no way malicious, he does have an uncanny knack of breaking my system whilst attempting to "help make it better grandad"  -  the joys of youth ISTR.  I have always run a sensible backup regime which has proved invaluable of late Smile  I did make an earlier post in the 15000th Post thread, as, after days of visiting, was the only thread which contained traffic, so this post is to redress my forgetfulness/tardiness.  I visit a couple of times a day [at least] and, although I know little [or less Smile ] I enjoy looking and will, maybe, actually get to learn something in due time.   Regards.

Best wishes,

Maurice.

Milamber

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Tue 16 Aug 2016, 6:49 pm

Hi Jonathan
The loco is Hardwick from Marcel's Swiss site.
I'm sure I speak for many other members here when I say we're always interested in what other train sim sites have to offer.  To that end, could you please give a link to that one?

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT : Found it!! http://trainsim.ch/default.aspx It contains quite a selection of late 1800s/early 1900s British locos together with a quantity of mainly Swiss locos. I don't know if any of the British locos made it past 1948, but, if so, they may be candidates for reskinning, subject to permission being obtained, of course Smile

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Wed 17 Aug 2016, 8:23 pm

Hi Jonathan
Thanks for the screenshots, especially those for Milnrow. I should of course point out that these days the Milnrow Station area is somewhat less floral - ignoring the fact that it has reverted to double track as part of Manchester's MetroLink!
However the thing to remember is that with Train Simulation we are free to run our favourites on whatever route takes our fancy.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  OldVern on Fri 07 Oct 2016, 3:16 pm

Vern (or Vernon) previously BigVern on the UKTS board (before a falling out a few years ago) and NorthernWarrior at Trainsim.com

My notable (notorious?) contribution to MSTS was six now rather dated routes still available as a CD compilation from UKTS and the original Blackpool Tramway which was subsequently reworked by the community into something much better.

Over the last few years I've largely been active route building in Trainz or TS20xx (Railworks). However I recently started to gravitate back towards MSTS partly because of the opportunities Open Rails offers (though there are issues running UK routes still) and because MSTS is a relatively stable (!) platform to build on. It's established - it's not being updated, the goalposts aren't being moved or subject to life cycle compliance. So far as the UK scene is concerned, if you have the "big" routes - North Wales Coast and Mid East Plus then you're pretty much set for life.

Also a recent new laptop purchased to run the Trainz (TANE) and TS20xx editors better is actually worse than the old one and sounds like a hairdryer on full reheat, so MSTS actually sits quite comfortably on it.

After a few false starts I'm currently mulling over a few potential UK/Irish projects. Not going to be anything on a grand scale - time and wishing to preserve what's left of my eyesight and sanity preclude that but it would be nice to chuck one or two more projects into the pool.

OldVern

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Fri 07 Oct 2016, 4:02 pm

Hi Vern,
A very warm welcome to TSSH Smile It's always great to have long-standing members of the Train Sim Community joining us here.

I enjoy reading your posts on trainsim and I'm sure your contributions here won't be any exception!

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 on Fri 07 Oct 2016, 6:06 pm

Hi Vern

Welcome to TSSH, I do have some of your routes that you alluded to OK

I echo Ged's comments above.

Cheers.
Mark.

Mark
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  Scampispeedway on Fri 07 Oct 2016, 6:34 pm

Hi Vern, can I say welcome back to the world of MSTS, even though I've upgraded my Graphics Card
to enable me to run the new Train-Simulator i.e.TS2016 or TS2017, I've decided to stick with MSTS.
I enjoyed the Far North Line and the South Tyne Line and did ask you a few years ago if you were
willing to finish of the former and do the run down to the Kyle of LochAlsh.
Sadly you said at the time you were not going to complete this Route as you were doing things for the
earlier versions of TS2xxx, so now that you are back I was hoping that this branch could be added to
the original one.

Bob
Scampispeedway

Back to top Go down

Post  OldVern on Fri 07 Oct 2016, 9:20 pm

At the moment I'm still taking stock of what has and hasn't been done UK wise. The list here is very useful but routes like Bristol to Cardiff (which is far more!), MEP and Thames-Trent have large portions of the country pretty much sewn up - including lots of branch lines that might have been useful standalone projects.

More likely to start with something short and compact but hopefully interesting operationally. As plans evolve, I'll post more on any project(s). Kyle is certainly a possibility in the future and there's a couple of the far west Irish routes that interest me too (the Western Corridor and Burma Road).

OldVern

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Fri 07 Oct 2016, 10:52 pm

It's good to hear from you here on TSSH, and I look forward to seeing occasional screenshots of whatever you turn your hand to. Like many others I have enjoyed running occasional trips on your varied routes for which I am grateful. One thing I would say is that whilst many routes have been covered the majority of these can be considered "modern", and perhaps those who are interested in route building might consider short sections of routes from earlier days. I had considered some sort of localised route based on Rochdale circa 1920 where the track layout was extensive and the 1920 Working Time Table indicated over 300 trains per day - a fine place to sit my L&Y wagons! Perhaps the line from Rochdale to Bacup might be worth considering?

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  glasgowworks on Fri 07 Oct 2016, 11:48 pm

Hi Vern

It is great to have you back with the MSTS community. Hope you have something in store in the future.
It would be great to have another Irish route, we only got Kerry Railways and MT Irish Enterprise for MSTS so far.

As I understand, you joined the MSTS community from the very early days and created a good number of routes from the very beginning.
I believe the Ayr To Stranraer Route was one of the earliest routes you created and that is still currently available from trainsim.com.

I can clearly see the reason why the Far North Line was not extended to Kyle. This was because MSTS2 was under development at the time,
but that game has since been cancelled. The plan to extend the Ayr To Stranraer Route to Glasgow was also cancelled for the very same reason.

As Ged mentioned, it's always great to have a long-standing members on board. Welcome aboard!

Cheers  Very Happy
Alistair Cowell
glasgowworks

Back to top Go down

Post  OldVern on Sat 08 Oct 2016, 7:27 am

Yes I forgot about Ayr to Stranraer, very early effort and I guess I should have mentioned Cambrian (1) the payware route for 3DTS and the short stretch of the LSWR main line I did for BATS, too.

All those early projects were done without DEM data (terrain had to be hand crafted) and using references taken off paper map sheets and mangled into MSTS-speak via Gridinquest. Not even TS Tools had been conceived at that point though it has to be said, a month tracing contours for my Swedish route is not an experience I would like to repeat. On the other hand, it did lend to a determination to push on and finish the project whereas these days in the other sims you can have a new project up and running in 15 minutes making it too easy to get distracted.

Of course with Route Riter, Demex and Google Earth to do markers we now have something approaching that level of ease for MSTS.

It's highly unlikely I would take one of my older routes and extend it simply because, if nothing else, I'd want the proper DEM data for terrain and in the case of the Scottish routes to generate distant mountains.

OldVern

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnY58 on Sat 08 Oct 2016, 8:11 am

Hi Vern,

Welcome aboard.

Like others I have a different name here, and I do not post very often but keep a watching brief (as it were). I remember the Blue Arrow days.

John (johny, elsewhere)
JohnY58

Back to top Go down

Post  OldVern on Sat 08 Oct 2016, 8:46 am

I remember the Blue Arrow days.

Likewise, in particular having to place and align all that third rail manually... Mad

I do remember thinking at the time I should have done Honiton to Yeovil instead!

OldVern

Back to top Go down

Post  ianmacmillan on Sat 08 Oct 2016, 10:49 am

For the last fortnight I have been loading an activity for the SMJ route.

The route is is surprisingly good for it's age but the stock is dated and requires replacing - hence the long time.
So far I have replaced the PO wagons and am particularly pleased with the MR meat van.

ianmacmillan

Back to top Go down

Post  OldVern on Sat 08 Oct 2016, 12:18 pm

The SMJ owes much to the services of Peter Holton (at the time a fellow 3DTS partner) in creating the stations and some of the other structures. we were also by that time getting much better trees and structures generally which allowed route builders to rely much less on the default content. With hindsight it probably should have been built with UKFS but it was originally meant as a personal infill project between finishing Cambrian 1 for 3DTS and starting something else, though I subsequently left the group. Probably worth replacing the track texture I used with the UKFS "style" texture for default track you can get off UKTS.

OldVern

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells on Sat 08 Oct 2016, 12:20 pm

Hi Vern,

Welcome to TSSH

There is one area which hasn't been made as a stand alone route and that is the Great Western Main Line from Plymouth to Penzance and all its many branch lines, plus the Southern Railway areas in North Cornwall ( others will correct me if I am wrong ). The latter has been partly covered by the Withered Arm and its yet to be released upgrade. I now this was all covered in the Paddington to Penzance Cd but a lot of it had the bare minimum and often non existent scenery. The line today has lost virtually all the original branch lines and it would be lovely to see this all re created.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David on Sat 08 Oct 2016, 2:37 pm

What would be really great would be to see some of the existing routes taken back to pre-grouping days. As far as I know the only one where this has been done is the Skipton-Carlisle route (and very nice it is, too).
And if anyone fancies a real challenge a missing area is South Wales. How about either the Pontypool Road to Neath line (Crumlin Viaduct anyone?) or the Heads of the Valleys route from Abergavenny to Merthyr - though the Merthyr area would probably tax MSTS. Or if anyone is a real masochist the Taff Vale Railway or Rhymney Railway lines?
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray on Sat 08 Oct 2016, 5:47 pm

Hey Vern,

Welcome back! (and to TSSH).

Niall

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  Shawmut Yesterday at 4:11 pm

Hello all,

I've been posting for a while now, so I suppose I'm overdue for an introduction - so here it is.

I was born and raised in Hornell, New York, USA  some 68 years ago, in the last glory days of the American railroad. My hometown was a "division point" on the Erie Railroad, a major New York-Chicago artery. Very large yards and repair shops employed the bulk of the men in my hometown; it's now sadly greatly declined from those days, hence my love of all things in train simulation: a way to go back to my youth. My dad was a pilot and flew in B-17s and B-29s during WWII, and my mother's youngest brother was involved in the incipient sports car movement here in this country after the war. (Before the war almost all US auto racing was on oval tracks; G.I.'s in Europe due to a fellow named Adolf had seen road racing and wanted to duplicate this sport back home). So an appreciation of fine machinery was quite literally in my blood.

I became interested in U.K. prototypes after having lived for a couple of years in Denver, Colorado, the US capital of mountain-style narrow gauge. While the Rocky Mountain vistas are fabulous, I never found the actual trains themselves that interesting. Upon chance I came across a book by one O.S. Nock on the history of U.K. railways, and the color (or should I say "colour" :-) plates of trains in brilliant blue and green and red completely enthralled me. Further, the advanced state of capitalism in the U.K. in the early 19th century meant that - unlike U.S. railroads - first-class construction methods could be employed. All you need to do is compare, say, the right of way of the 19th century LNWR with that of the Union Pacific to see my point.

I didn't discover MSTS until 2008, rather late in its life-cycle, but I've been interested in model rail construction since I was a kid. I was even a member of the EM Gauge Society for a while! After discovering train simulation programs, I ended up buying them all. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses, and my tastes in train simulators is - like my interest in foreign to the U.S. prototypes - quite catholic. I love just about any train. But despite this catholicity, I keep coming back to MSTS (and now ORTS) time and again. I think that there are two reasons for this:

1. The great community - a world-wide community - of rail nuts like myself who willingly provide their expertise and time to make this simulator a FREE one. I often prefer to use a freeware loco or wagon over a payware one - though I have spent many hundreds of dollars on payware - simply because of this spirit. Further, now that I am retired and on a fixed income, this is no small benefit.

2. I can modify routes, locos, wagons, sounds, scenery - you name it - almost to a fare-thee-well. Most of the other sims are much more daunting, but if you are willing to invest the time to learn the basics of MSTS programming you can easily modify the text files it uses. This is, to me, almost a hobby within a hobby: I take great joy in upgrading my downloads or repainting to my own tastes. Really, it's virtual model trains!

I'll close by saying that I spent a career in rare books, worked mostly in U.S. academia, have been married for 40 years to Pamela (whose ancestors emigrated to the colonies from East Anglia), and have 3 children and 2 grandchildren. And did I mention that I love trains? Laughing

Kind regards,

David

Shawmut

Back to top Go down

Post  RIGFindlay Yesterday at 6:48 pm

Good to hear from you. Like you I love bashing things into the shape I want them. I must have planted hundreds of trees and hedges on London and South East, reskinned locomotives, modified sound systems and so on. I am not an expert, but I have managed to up load a few things I have built with TSM.

All the best,

Roderic

RIGFindlay

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top