How hot is too Hot?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How hot is too Hot?

Post  j3801 on Fri 18 Jan 2013, 2:55 am

Hi all,

A bit of useless info but I thought I'd share it anyway.

I went to get some lunch at 1:30pm today, and the first thing that hit me was how insanely hot it was.
My close felt like they had just been through a clothes drier and I put them straight on. Shocked
I came home and check the temperature on the computer:

45C affraid

Anyone else feeling deep fried right now?

Justin

j3801
Admin

http://tsforum.freeclanforum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: How hot is too Hot?

Post  Twomanyd on Fri 18 Jan 2013, 8:26 am

not really as us Brits are in the middle the new ice age i don't know about anyone else but its -3 here in Yorkshire and it feels like its getting colder Crying or Very sad
Dave

Twomanyd

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Fri 18 Jan 2013, 10:55 am

. . . and it's about the same here in Lancashire. It's getting ready to seriously snow - hopefully we can go and get some shopping before it gets bad!

Alec

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  j3801 on Fri 18 Jan 2013, 11:02 am

Can you guys send us some snow and we'll send you some of the heat???? Laughing

Apparently it got to a maximum of 45.8C here in Sydney, the hottest day on the record books (150 years).

The weather right now around the world is getting weird....

Justin

j3801
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Fri 18 Jan 2013, 11:09 am

The last time I experienced temperatures in that range was back in 1983 when it reached nearly 50 degrees C during a spell of working in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

Alec

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  j3801 on Fri 18 Jan 2013, 11:16 am

I can only say one thing to that.....

Ouch. affraid

Justin

j3801
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  stephenholmes on Tue 22 Jan 2013, 1:57 pm

Hello Justin
It's far too warm for my liking in Sydney
I can tolerate 20 degrees celsius but not the extremes currently being seen in Australia
Kind regards Stephen
stephenholmes

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Tue 22 Jan 2013, 2:14 pm

Er . . . . let's see what this does?

Alec

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  dee4141 on Tue 22 Jan 2013, 2:29 pm

I've just been outside with the snow shovel to clear the drive........still plenty of the white stuff here. Wink
dee4141

Back to top Go down

Post  casperdog on Tue 22 Jan 2013, 5:25 pm

Well, we're having an indian ummmmmm, not sure what. 7.30 in the evening and 20C on the balcony.
This should be mid-winter and about 8C.
Cheers
Clive

Thames Trent V3 :30 miles to go.
casperdog

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth on Tue 22 Jan 2013, 11:03 pm

j3801 wrote:Can you guys send us some snow and we'll send you some of the heat???? Laughing

Apparently it got to a maximum of 45.8C here in Sydney, the hottest day on the record books (150 years).

The weather right now around the world is getting weird....

Justin

Just slightly off topic - to go the other way - during the late 60's/early70's I lived in London for a couple of years - went over with a mate - he was of Polish decent, so we spent a couple of months in Poland staying with his relatives in the Winter of 70/71. One night we had to walk 3km across town just after midnight (public transport had stopped by then) back to our digs - I thought it was cold - next morning our host said that on the radio they broadcast that it had got to -36C that night. I got severe frost-bite in two fingers, and nearly lost them - lucky our host was a GP and noticed the prominent dark swelling and caught it before it became an amputation job !!! So, yeh, I know what COLD is !!!

At the other end, the highest we've had here in Brisbane was 42.4 a couple of years ago.

Regards, Brian

"Any railway that paints their locomotives such a magnificent shade of red, must be the most superior in the land" (apologies to the late David Jenkinson).
ShortNorth

http://shortnorth.steam4me.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 11:28 pm

Just started snowing again here, it's blowing a gale too

Mark
Markh5682

http://www.youtube.com/user/markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP on Fri 22 Mar 2013, 12:13 am

Anyone else had enough of this now....... We should be having a nice Sunny Spring!! But NO; more poxy bad weather on its way! I crashed my car last Monday in the snow! Still looking for another Ford Focus to replace it! Snow-Socks are the way forward!!
Fed up with it! Luckily I can relax watching the Malaysian GP this weekend!! Very Happy

Cheers

Andy
35005CP

http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Fri 22 Mar 2013, 8:32 am

Thank goodness I don't work on Fridays now, and hence don't need to drive in this inclement weather.
However I will have to do the dog walk! Shocked
Alec

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  j3801 on Fri 22 Mar 2013, 9:46 am

Meanwhile in the land down-under, our weather is having mood swings.
Early morning its 16C, by midday it's hitting 30C, in the afternoon less than 3 hours after hitting 30C it's back down to the mid 20's with thunder storms. Next day it doesn't get higher than 23C...... then back up to 35C the following day. You gotta love Autumn.

Andy, if you can save your pennies try for the new gen Ford Mondeo. I saw the UK model at the Sydney Motor show last year (as well as the concept car that it is based off: the EVOS. No Aussie versions due till about 2015, not that I’m changing my warbird for no one), very aggressive styling, yet at the same time clean lines and a refined look about it.

Justin

j3801
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 on Sat 23 Mar 2013, 12:38 am

Still snowing hard here, it has never stopped snowing since I posted about it last night, they cleared the road today and it is blocked again now, the high winds are piling it up into drifts too.

I'll swap your warm weather mood swings for our freezing weather mood swings Justin. Laughing

Mark
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  j3801 on Sat 23 Mar 2013, 12:44 am

Mark,

Deal, I hate the heat.
Funny enough, I went sking a few years ago (my first time), and it was minus 5C with high winds and snowing.
I had been standing around after landing badly on my right hip, and I thought "damn its hot." I only had on a thin/light set of thermal under clothes and a light weight ski suit and I was sweating up a storm just standing around. Laughing Laughing

Mind you one day I did walk into the main freezer where I used to work, it was -28C and I couldn't feel the cold. No thermal gear that time.

Justin

j3801
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 on Sat 23 Mar 2013, 1:01 am

I have been up in the Alps when it's really cold and hardly felt it at all, the air there is not as humid as it is here, so you don't feel the cold as much.

Mark
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  mendes on Sat 23 Mar 2013, 1:27 am

What is it with these sweaty Antipodeans???? !!!!!!

I've never known weather as cold as this in late March. There's not been any snow in London but the Easterly wind today was strong and extremely biting.

If this weather event had occurred in Winter rather than Spring I think it would have triggered a major emergency with ensuing economic repercussions.

mendes

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Latimer on Sat 23 Mar 2013, 4:04 am

I'll raise Alec's 50 degrees to 52 degrees Celsius when were in Tashkent in 1985. At the other end of the scale, -52 degrees Celsius in Northern Saskatchewan in 1969.

Meanwhile in Auckland it's my preferred weather, mid 20s during the day and 16-17 overnight. Unusually for Auckland we haven't had any significant rain for quite a while.

Bob.

Bob Latimer

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Sat 23 Mar 2013, 7:12 am

I can confirm Mark's observations. The wind is very very strong and the snow is drifting. In the back garden on one side it's about 1cm and on the other its 1m!
Just as well we did our shopping yesterday as I don't fancy using the car - my Vauxhall Vectra is good for nothing on our estate in the snow. It's worth mentioning that east of our estate you are well and truly in the Pennines!
Alec

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Latimer on Sat 23 Mar 2013, 8:24 am

You think you've got snow? This is the main Trans-Canada highway yesterday just outside of Regina where we used to live. (If the picture shows up okay.)

Bob.

Well that didn't work, but if you paste http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/23155/Spring2.jpg/1 into the address bar on your browser, the photo should show up.

Last edited by j3801 on Sat 23 Mar 2013, 9:37 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Got your photo working)

Bob Latimer

Back to top Go down

Post  mendes on Sat 23 Mar 2013, 8:55 am

It's snowing in London this morning which is partially settling. Horse racing at Newbury and Doncaster (the start of the flat racing season!) has been cancelled.

mendes

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP on Sat 23 Mar 2013, 9:03 am

Thanks Justin! But we are supposed to be going out to buy a Ford Mondeo as it goes today! Going to see how bad this snow gets!!!
35005CP

http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  mikehendle on Sat 23 Mar 2013, 9:12 am

Hi
It's snowing and settling in Peterborough, which is roughly 90 miles North of London,it's on the East Coast Mainline which goes through Doncaster to York and Edinburgh,so far the trains are running to the normal time table.
Mike

Mikeex Zuid Afrikaans Sporweg employee[i]
mikehendle

Back to top Go down

Post  j3801 on Sat 23 Mar 2013, 9:43 am

Hmm... All this snow in England-land and I thought we were suffering from global warming? Laughing Laughing

Seriously though guys please be careful with all the bad weather that you are having, I don't have enough money to fly you all out here to Oz to thaw out. Laughing Laughing

Andy, good luck with the Mondeo, they aren’t all that bad when all is said and done.

Justin

j3801
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mikehendle on Sat 23 Mar 2013, 10:25 am

Hi,
Well they have said that the outside lanes on the A1M are now blocked with snow between Peterborough and the Huntingdon turn off
Re cars at present I have a Renault Megane Hatchback, it is now to low for me to get in and out of,also it is due to be replaced later this year,as I'm disabled I get a car from a charity called Motability on lease,I was wondering if the Ford Mondeo is higher up,the other Ford I can get is the new B max, which seems ideal for me,any advice would be of help thanks.
Mike

mikehendle

Back to top Go down

Post  j3801 on Sat 23 Mar 2013, 11:29 am

Mike,

The best advice on a car for you would be (as Ford don’t sell Falcons in the UK) the new Mondeo that is due out later this year. It is a (large, it’s almost as big as my Falcon) mid-sized sedan with wide opening doors, comfortable seats with a variety of fuel efficient engines. Having seen one up close, I can safely say that I would make getting in and out a lot easier for you, as well as handling better due to all the (complicated) electronic gizmos that are going to be in it (if it uses the same traction control as a Falcon, you really have to be mucking around to get it out of shape).

The New Ford Mondeo:

My 2010 Falcon XR50:

As for the B-max, it is a small hatch back, ok if you do yoga and don’t have a fear of tight spaces.

Justin

j3801
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mikehendle on Sat 23 Mar 2013, 1:34 pm

Hi Justin,
Thanks for the advice about the Mondeo it's a good looking car,I like yours as well,when I lived in South Africa I had a Chrysler Valiant 6 Cylinder,that was in the 1970's though,they were made by Chrysler Australia and assembled in South Africa.
The Ford dealer I spoke said the B Max had a small space for putting luggage in or even a wheel chair,luckily at present I can get about with out a wheel chair.
Mike

mikehendle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum