PC Specs for that perfect MSTS experience

View previous topic View next topic Go down

PC Specs for that perfect MSTS experience

Post  sbowness on Sun 01 Feb 2015, 6:18 am

Gents

After the discussions this week arising from Ged's excellent analysis of various nVidia cards together with my own experience today of a number of crashes when running one of the EB East Coast Express activities (which most frustratingly ended with an AI train rear-ending me whilst pulling away from a red light after an hour's driving) it got me thinking about this question.

Does anyone here have a crash-free life with MSTS? Do anyone have all of the settings boxes ticked and all of sliders up full? If so, what specs do you have on your PC?

I fully realise that this is a vexing issue (and sometimes akin to "how long is a piece of string"). I've seen similar old discussions on the other forums get quite heated but I thought that the more genteel and civilised group we seem to have here might be able to answer the question. Has hardware finally been able to meet the challenges that MSTS presents? Or is it still the Holy Grail?

Cheers

Stephen
sbowness

Back to top Go down

Re: PC Specs for that perfect MSTS experience

Post  j3801 on Sun 01 Feb 2015, 8:23 am

sbowness wrote:Does anyone here have a crash-free life with MSTS?

What is this wondrous witchcraft that you speak of?

Seriously though, I have a customised Dell tower from 2008 that has the following specs:

• 2x 750GB Hard Drives.
  • 3GB Intel Core 2 duo processor.
  • 4GB Ram.
  • ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series Graphics card (it just came pre installed with it).
  • Realtek sound card running an 11.2 surround sound system (to explain, I brought a 5.1 surround sound pack only to find that the computer is configured for 7.1, so I had a previous sound set up that I pinched 4 speakers and a sub woofer from, plus a dead CD player that had 2 speakers so I put it all together. Now I have 11 speakers and 2 sub woofers. How loud can it go? Well let's just say it sounds like the train is passing though the house when set at halfway.)
  • Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

I currently have 9 (yes that number is correct) working installs of MSTS (all set up for various regions/eras/scales) with everything set to maximum.
Depending on what I am running I have noted top frames per second being 45 - 50.
Running my Pullmans from Kings Cross on ECE just outside the tunnels before Finsbury Park....
8-15 depending on what I have going in the background (other software such as TSM, Windows Media Player, MSPaint etc....)

Thing is with MSTS, if it wants to crash it will. I have just been working on some 4 wheel coaches for upload, it took 4 attempts to get MSTS to like them....

Which activity are you getting rear ended in? As I recall there was one activity that has a glitch where you are coming out of the tunnels as you are heading south towards Alexandria Palace and the train somehow get derailed (it was brought up on UKTS). The only way to fix it would be to redo the activity (by redo I mean use the activity creator and fix it).

Justin

j3801
Admin

http://tsforum.freeclanforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sbowness on Sun 01 Feb 2015, 9:22 am

Hi Justin

That's the one. It's the Midsummer Madness one. I've seen a number of comments from people who have had the same problem. No one had a solution other than to reinstall but I'm not sure how that could make a difference.

Thanks for the specs. It will be interesting to see what the others have.

Stephen
sbowness

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Sun 01 Feb 2015, 10:21 am

The "history" of MSTS is of course briefly outlined HERE.
Whilst I have always accepted that it's not perfect, to me it's a case of "the devil I know". Being nearly 14 years old hardware development and OS development has not always been kind to the "old girl", and having the latest stuff does not guarantee a better experience. Finding a "sweet spot" is probably a mix of balancing the needs of hardware, OS and the MSTS content, and then to a certain extent this will vary between routes and various locations within a route, as illustrated in Justin's comment above.

For my own part my hardware consists of the following:-
1. Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1
2. Intel Pentium CPU G850 @ 2.90GHz
3. 8GB RAM (up until yesterday this was 4GB)
4. ASUS EAH6670 Series Graphics Card
5. 500GB and 250GB internal HDs
6. Sound from "motherboard"

I am slowly building up separate MSTS installations for different countries and these are then run via TrainStore. However a number of my installed routes are located in a Mini Route folder and run via Mini Loader.

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  casperdog on Sun 01 Feb 2015, 12:08 pm

Hi,
I can honestly say that un-explained  MSTS crashes are a thing of the past since I convinced  SWMBO that it was the only laptop that would do. I did have to massage the price slightly Smile , which was just over a £1000 in October 2012. I actually bought it about a week before W8 was released and have since breathed many sighs of relief.

It will still crash. That is MSTS, but it  can usually be tracked down to a dodgy bit of stock or scenic model or a problem in the activity itself.

Frame rates on Thames Trent are 40+ except for really heavily populated areas where it might drop to 20 FPS, but, there seems to be a lock of about 48 FPS anyway. Sliders at max, but I don't enable shadows or specular lighting.

Type                                        SamsungNP550p7c  17.3 laptop
Processor                                 Intel  i7-3610QM @ 2.3 Ghz Quad Core Processor
RAM capacity                 6.00GB
Memory type                 DDR3
Graphics                                 Integrated Intel HD4000 or
                                                Nvidia GeForce GT 650M with 2 GB dedicated VRAM
Hard Drive                            1.00TB @  5400 RPM

Sound                                      On-board

Operating System        Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Cheers
Clive

Thames Trent V3 :30 miles to go.
casperdog

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells on Sun 01 Feb 2015, 3:59 pm

Hi All,

Like many I still get the odd MSTS crash which can usually be traced as Clive has said. My frame rates vary between 15 in heavy populated areas or with too much ai to 50 plus when it quiet. This contrasts with a typical 80fps in OR and can still stutter severely even in explore mode for no apparent reason.

My set up is:-

System Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1

Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 840 processor

Memory(RAM) 4.0GB

Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Sound Uncertain but think I have a sound card installed
but works OK

Hard Drives 4 - Train simulators on separate drive

All Sliders etc set to max. Specular lighting is only thing NOT enabled.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Sun 01 Feb 2015, 9:35 pm

Hi All,
As others, I get 59/60fps in many areas to 18/20 on heavily populated tiles.  Strangely, leaving Birmingham New Street in the Passenger Tutorial activity (UKTS File ID 25803), I get 59/60 in MSTS but only 44/45 with OR, which is ample!

My system comprises the following :
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
Processor : Intel i5 2500K (3.3GHz)
RAM : 8.0GB
Graphics : ATI Radeon HD 7850 2GB
Sound : Asus Xonar DS sound card
Hard Drives :
 1 - 128GB Samsung 840 SSD containing Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 and Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit in a dual-boot configuration
 2 - 150GB WD VelociRaptor 1500rpm HDD containing MSTS, Open Rails and RailWorks etc.
 3 - 250GB Samsung HDD containing a Page File partition and a Working partition containing all files I'm currently working with for all my interests.
 4 - 2TB Toshiba HDD containing an on-line archive of everything saved off-line
Optical Drive : Samsung SH-S223B
Monitor : Samsung SyncMaster S22B350

MSTS settings
Display : Display Resolution = 1280x1024x32 and overall Display Quality set to one mark below Best Graphics
Advanced Display : Visibility set to 1500, Terrain Error Threshold set to about 37, all other sliders at their right-hand end.  Only Dynamic Shadows, Specular Lighting and High Detail Shadows NOT selected
Sound :  All sliders at their right-hand end

AMD Graphics settings

(YES, I've dumped the NVIDIA card and am sticking with Windows 7!!)

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Mon 02 Feb 2015, 11:16 am

Ged
I note your use of the SSD drive for locating the OS. Would you recommend this as a better option for this? My sound is related to the motherboard. Again would you recommend a separate sound card? My CPU is a dual core at 2.9GHz. Finally is there anything to be gained by going for a higher spec CPU such as your i5 type?

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Mon 02 Feb 2015, 2:30 pm

Hi Alec,
This post could turn out to be a bit of an epistle!!

I won't take your points in order, but will make them in what I think is priority order, but please note that these are only my experiences and are not necessarily recommended for others..

CPU
This gave me the biggest improvement in MSTS performance. I had previously always used AMD processors, with the last one being a Phenom II x4 965BE (3.4GHz) on a Gigabyte 970GX chipset motherboard. Almost 3 years ago, I treated myself to an Intel i5 2500K and a Gigabyte Z68 chipset board. The difference was amazing - much better frame rates with the same graphics card (which, I believe, was an AMD HD 5750). Since building this system, although I've been able to upgrade, I haven't felt the need to, except for the graphics card, because it's still giving excellent performance.

SSD
This is a difficult one! Boot-up time is improved - currently, from pressing the button (cold start) to the Windows tone, my system takes about 55secs, which, if I remember correctly is about 20/25 seconds less than with the WD VelociRaptor drive. Not a great saving, and use of the SSD doesn't really affect MSTS. The reason I put the OSs on the SSD was because the drivers are also located there which might help the graphics. SSDs are said to have a finite life (as do any hard drives!) but since they are new, there doesn't seem to be any hard data to say exactly how long! It is governed by the number of writes made; because of this I moved the Page File and Temp folders from their default location on C: drive to one of my hard drives. I know that many laptops now come with SSDs as their only drive, so life may not be such a problem. To get the best out of an SSD, a change in the BIOS of the PC from IDE interface to AHCI is required, although it's not mandatory. Windows 7 knows all about SSDs and includes specific processes to deal with them automatically, but earlier OSs don't. An SSD must not be defragged - besides the fact that it's not required, attempting to defrag will shorten their life (see above). When Windows 7 is set to auto defrag, it doesn't apply it to SSDs. Finally, if you want one, go for a "good" make of SSD, like Samsung or maybe Crucial - they cost more than some others but have better performance.

SOUND
Current on-board sound systems are quite capable, so if yours is working satisfactorily, there shouldn't be any reason to change to a discrete card. The only advantage that the latter might have is in the number of buffers it can access (as used in the SoundSystem parameter in the MSTS soundcfg.dat file).

Hope this helps, and didn't send you to sleep Sleep Sleep

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Mon 02 Feb 2015, 6:37 pm

Many thanks for the detailed reply, which has given me much food for thought - where would I be without an old cliche or two!

I'll attempt to digest and make some decisions about where to make any further upgrades. After my recent experience with the Blu Ray player I can't afford to rush in too hastily.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  RIGFindlay on Mon 02 Feb 2015, 7:05 pm

When an SSD was installed in my XP computer, the performance of the machine was improved considerably, and MSTS was able to load the next tile and the approaching AI trains much more easily and with less of a pause. In fact some places where there had been pauses became completely smooth running.

My W7 machine has always had an SSD because a young IT friend fitted it when new. I get frame rates of 59 on the W7 machine in places where they slowed down to 20-30 on the XP machine. The XP machine achieved 59 a lot of the time but the frame rate would decrease to 30 in built-up areas and below 20 in very busy places. The W7 machine will slow down to 20 where the XP machine slowed to 12-14.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model OptiPlex 3020
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

The operating system is on C Drive; so are all the copies of MSTS. Other data is kept on D drive.

Yes, I do get crashes occasionally, but

1.  Adjustment of the timing of AI trains usually cures the fault when it occurs in the same place more than once.

2.  They generally occur when the computer has been busy doing other things and is getting tired. It is much safer to restart before driving a train.

I hope this helps, but it is, of course, only my own personal experience.

Roderic

RIGFindlay

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP on Mon 02 Feb 2015, 10:43 pm

Hi all,
Now I am really going to put the "Cat amongst the Pidgeons" - My Fujitsu Laptop runs pretty much fine on Windows 7 and could probably be improved by an SSD Drive as per this link; http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/storage/3426605/what-difference-will-ssd-make-my-laptop/

Spec is as follows;

Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 Bit - Service Pack 1

Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz

Installed Memory (RAM) 4.00GB

Graphics: Intel (R) HD Graphics 3000

I have most of my settings set up high except for the Dynamic Shadows and this seems to work fine except in built up Routes heavily laden with AI Traffic. Okay although the graphics appear poor from screenshots I have posted and in Route shots, this is definitely down to the Graphics Card that is built in to the laptop. But it does the job in a small space. If space was at a premium I would go all out. But then we know MSTS has a limit......

For Example - My other Laptop running Windows 8.1 Pro is an i5 Processor - 3317U 1.7Ghz with 4GB Ram and and an Intel HD 4000 Graphics Card built into it and all the font is scrambled.....

To me the same type of onboard graphics card but the guys at Microsoft never catered for the newer intel card or advised the makers of the changes.

Cheers

Andy

Andy - TSSH Footplate Crew
35005CP

http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Mon 02 Feb 2015, 10:54 pm

I am thinking of this SSD - Samsung SAM 850 Pro 128GB 2.5 inch SATA III Solid State Drive - and completely reorganising my content including changing to W7 64 bit. This I hope will set me up for the foreseeable future, as I shall also look to get a CPU similar to those of Ged and Roderic. Obviously I will need to do my sums and see how this lot fits in with my budget.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Tue 03 Feb 2015, 1:27 pm

Hi Alec,
Please forgive me if you already know this, but if you want to change to an i5 or i7 processor you will also need to change the motherboard. The RAM from your "old" PC may also need replacing. The good news is that your hard drives and graphics card can be transferred to the new PC without any problem.
The processor I use is now a few years old and newer motherboards have a different socket and are not interchangeable.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  RIGFindlay on Tue 03 Feb 2015, 1:57 pm

I should have mentioned in my last post that, although there are fewer pauses with an SSD, they do not disappear altogether. Goods trains and Pullman cars like you to know they are approaching. I spend several seconds in Merstham tunnel when the Up  Brighton Belle is approaching on the Quarry Line. So expect an improvement, but not perfection. My current SSD calls itself a KINGSTON SV300S37A480G ATA Device. I hope I have got that right.

Roderic

RIGFindlay

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Tue 03 Feb 2015, 3:40 pm

slipperman12 wrote:Hi Alec,
Please forgive me if you already know this, but if you want to change to an i5 or i7 processor you will also need to change the motherboard. The RAM from your "old" PC may also need replacing.  The good news is that your hard drives and graphics card can be transferred to the new PC without any problem.
The processor I use is now a few years old and newer motherboards have a different socket and are not interchangeable.

Cheers,
Ged

I am not proposing to have a new PC as such, but looking to replace some of the bits inside the existing one; e.g. I have just had 8GB RAM installed in the form of 2 4GB Corsair units, and so I would hope that they will be OK. To be perfectly honest I can't say what my current motherboard is, and so not sure whether it would accept an i5 processor. I'll need to check this evening. We'll ignore the new BD unit! Evil or Very Mad

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Tue 03 Feb 2015, 6:19 pm

Hi Alec,
Sorry, mate, I should have said "upgraded" instead of "new", but the effect will be much the same!

You should be able to install the same processor as I'm using into your current motherboard as it uses the LGA1155 socket. However, as I mentioned before, the newer processors use the 1150 socket which is not compatible. Roderic's processor, although still an i5, it is a 4th generation chip which uses an 1150 socket. I believe the 3rd generation i5s (eg i5 3750) also use the 1155 socket.

You will, almost certainly, be able to use the RAM chips you've just purchased Smile And the new BD drive will be safe.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Tue 03 Feb 2015, 6:27 pm

Hi Roderic,
Goods trains and Pullman cars like you to know they are approaching.
Yes. you're quite right!
I've tried running MSTS from a RAMDisk, which should provide the absolute fastest access possible on a given PC, and I STILL got the very short pauses when AI were "placed". I think it's caused by the game engine itself - I haven't run enough in Open Rails to determine if this bug-bear has been eradicated (but I hope so!).

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  j3801 on Wed 04 Feb 2015, 10:26 am

sbowness wrote:Hi Justin

That's the one. It's the Midsummer Madness one. I've seen a number of comments from people who have had the same problem. No one had a solution other than to reinstall but I'm not sure how that could make a difference.

Thanks for the specs. It will be interesting to see what the others have.

Stephen,

I have re-run the Midsummer Madness activity and I actually completed it.

Main running tips of the activity:
Leaving Peterborough: keep below 75mph, once you start to hit the yellows keep it down to no faster than 70mph. Allow the train to settle down around 65mph.
Once you get closer to Huntingdon where the line goes back to quad you will start to hit the greens, then go for it (hold as close to 125mph as you can). Arrival at Stevenage should be around 12:36pm

Stevenage you have the 20mph limit which puts the 317 ahead of you, so once you hit the yellows keep your speed down to about 50mph until it clears off. On the approach to Welwyn North you will start to hit yellows and reds, not much can be done so keep the speed as low as possible (20mph – 30mph).You should hit Welwyn Garden City around 12:47pm. Wait in the platform til 12:52pm then let the train run at around 40mph – 50mph (more yellows closer to Alexandra Palace). At least you are out of service so timing is unimportant.

You will get switched into the sidings in front of Bounds Green Park Depot where you will back into. Keep your speed right down (no higher than 8mph). Activity ends when the 91 is at the far end of the shed.

In the activity summary you will be told that you failed to stop at one station (King’s Cross).

Took a bit of lateral thinking but this activity is one where falling behind schedule is actually beneficial.

Justin

j3801
Admin

http://tsforum.freeclanforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sbowness on Wed 04 Feb 2015, 7:40 pm

Hi Justin

Thanks for that. We have a long weekend so I'll give that a go tomorrow.

Cheers

Stephen
sbowness

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Wed 11 Feb 2015, 2:44 pm

Having upgraded the spare bedroom/computer room - new computer workstation from IKEA included - I'm back to looking at upgrading the computer. The mother board is an ASUS P8H61-1LX which states that there is an LGA1155 socket for 2nd generation processors, however I was looking at an Intel Core I5-3470 Processor (3.20GHZ, 6MB Cache, Socket 1155) which is a 3rd generation processor but I assume that it will still fit?
PS: In addition I'm looking at the Asus Xonar DSX 7.1 PCI Express 1.0 Sound Card, and any comments on this would be welcome?

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Wed 11 Feb 2015, 3:25 pm

Hi Alec,
Yes, that motherboard will accept the i5-3470 CPU, but it will probably need a BIOS update.
However, if you get the R2.0 version, it's already set up for generation 2 and 3 CPUs - see here : http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/P8H61I_LX_R20/

I don't have that sound card, but I do have the earlier DS version and have never had any problems with it.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Wed 11 Feb 2015, 3:49 pm

Mmmm . . . I didn't want to change the motherboard, and therefore need a CPU that sensibly fits the one I mentioned above. I'm not exactly sure what a BIOS update involves?

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Wed 11 Feb 2015, 5:01 pm

Hi Alec,
Although, these days, updating the BIOS is a fairly straight forward procedure, but I wouldn't recommend unless you are confident!
The first thing to do is to determine the version of the current BIOS; usually this is displayed on the first screen with some numbers on as soon as you switch the PC on.  You can freeze this screen by pressing the PAUSE button, then read what's on the screen - it should be near the top.

Checking the ASUS website, if you've already got an R2.0 board, the number 0305 or greater (but less than 3000) indicates that an i5-3470 can be used without modification.
If the number is 3601, 3607, 3608 or 3703 it means you have the earlier board - if the number is 3607 or greater, then, again, the 3470 can be plugged in and used without any modification.

If your number is 3601, then I suggest you take it back to where you got it from and ask them to check it out for you and upgrade if required.

Please bear in mind that changing the CPU is not a simple plugging exercise because the heatsink/fan assembly will have to be removed from the CPU (it'll be stuck due to the thermal compound used!).  Then, after the new CPU has been installed, a little fresh thermal compound must be applied to it prior to either re-attaching the cleaned heatsink/fan or attaching the heatsink/fan which comes with the new CPU.

The above information has been gleaned from the web, but if you're in any doubt, I recommend you seek professional advice (this is my "get out" clause Smile ).

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Wed 11 Feb 2015, 6:32 pm

I certainly wouldn't do anything like this myself, and I would get my niece's partner to do the business for me! Obviously I need to seriously think about what I'm wanting before clicking on the "BUY" button!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  sbowness on Thu 19 Feb 2015, 9:35 pm

Hi everyone

Thanks for the frank and lively discussion. This was always going to be a "how long is a piece of string" type of question but it has been very interesting to hear everyone's experiences.

As you know, this was sparked by my struggles to get good frameworks and there has been a lot of correspondence between Ged and myself, for which I am very grateful. The upshot of all that is that Win8.1 is a real killer of framerates when it comes to MSTS. I am only getting half the fps that Ged is getting on similar equipment and the only difference is that he uses Win7 and I use Win8.1 (which, incidentally, I quite like otherwise).

So, at some point when I get a couple of days, I'll dual boot my PC with a Win7 instance and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Stephen
sbowness

Back to top Go down

Specs

Post  abclare on Tue 24 Feb 2015, 2:24 pm

Hi I have a NVIDIA Card in my new Pc about three months ago and I get  updates often and good Graphics also.

Art. An older one.
abclare

http://stp.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Thu 12 Mar 2015, 4:09 pm

An update on my computer upgrade. I will be getting a S/H Intel i5 2400 as an alternative to some of the earlier expensive options. This works with an 1155 socket, although I'm not sure what the BIOS situation is? It's a quad core with a nominal 3.1GHz, although I believe it's possible to overclock it to 3.4GHz - thankfully I won't be doing that.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Thu 12 Mar 2015, 7:06 pm

Hi Alec,
You should notice a difference with an i5 2400 against your G850!  Here's a comparison between the two :  http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/251/Intel_Core_i5_i5-2400_vs_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_G850.html

The important point is that there's a quoted 18% improvement in single threaded applications, such as MSTS.  There are bigger improvements in other applications, thanks, mainly, to the 2400 being a quad-core processor (the G850 is a dual-core).

I haven't checked whether the BIOS will require updating for the 2400, but I doubt if it'll be necessary.  The only downside to the 2400 is that its maximum power requirement is 95W as against the 65W of the G850; this will only cause a problem if the motherboard isn't built to take it.   The person doing your upgrade will be able to ascertain this.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Thu 12 Mar 2015, 10:21 pm

Thanks for the link Ged, and to the best of our knowledge the current motherboard should be OK!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top