Windows Update KB3035583

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Windows Update KB3035583

Post  rufuskins on Wed 20 May 2015, 1:22 pm

Some people may be aware of a recent post on UKTS HERE referring to a Microsoft Update KB3035583 for W7 and W8, which apparently includes something about free installation of Windows 10? I didn't really understand the implications of this particular update but decided to remove it just in case. It appears to give one notification of the progress of W10 development, so I'm not sure whether this would qualify as "nagware"?
I would welcome any comments from those who are more computer savvy than myself?

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Re: Windows Update KB3035583

Post  35005CP on Wed 20 May 2015, 3:26 pm

There are plenty of replies about this here; http://www.techrepublic.com/article/microsoft-hides-a-windows-10-easter-egg-in-windows-78-1-systems/

Andy - TSSH Footplate Crew
35005CP

http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Wed 20 May 2015, 4:00 pm

Hi Alec,
Apparently, this particular update has been around since March, but Microsoft have recently upgraded it from "Optional" to "Important", which is probably why it's just been noticed (again). Although it's not seen as malicious, the recommendation is that it's not installed, or deleted if already installed, and hide it so that Windows Update doesn't keep suggesting it as an update!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Wed 20 May 2015, 6:45 pm

Thanks for the comments gentlemen, and you'll have noted I deleted it. It's bad enough having to keep an eye out for unwanted applications attached to otherwise acceptable downloads without MS, etc. joining in!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  Scampispeedway on Sun 30 Aug 2015, 4:32 pm

Hi Everyone, like all users of Window 7, I got annoyed having to say no to the free option of upgrading to
Window 10 every time I restarted my computer, I have no intention of ever using Windows 10 anyway.
I have read several posts on how to get rid of it as once installed you can only delete it but when you fire
up your computer later on, you will find that it has been reloaded again.
Martin i.e. brace2011 on the UKtrainsim.com MSTS1 General Forum did post how to get rid of it but it
was later deleted so if anyone wants to know how I hid mine and so stopped it being reloaded again need
to go through the following steps.
1) Check your installed Updates and delete KB3035583 by right clicking on it.
2) Do not restart your computer but check for Windows Updates.
3) The above one will be found and after selecting it, right mouse click the Update and the select the Hide
option.
4) You can now Restart your computer and if you look on the Taskbar, the Icon has gone and so you will
never get the Pop-Up Blue box appearing.

Cheers
Bob
Scampispeedway

Back to top Go down

Post  lateagain on Tue 08 Sep 2015, 11:44 am

Just bought a new laptop for SWMBO Wink and it shipped with Win 8.1. Now having two PC's running Win 7 (SWMBO's old laptop still on Vista) I had no desire to learn how Win 8.1 worked but as that had to be "verified" online it immediately asked to install Win 10.

If you have to learn a new OS there's no point in learning what's just being phased out? I have to say that my immediate impression of 10 was to be underwhelmed! Rolling Eyes However once I ditched the beta ...no make that alpha ware "EDGE" browser (IE was there from 8.1 of course) and the even flakier Mail Browser was replaced with Thunderbird ...it seemed ....well still underwhelming.

Word is that a BIG patch is expected towards the end of the year? Lets face it we got to SP3 with XP and that wasn't bad?

Right now I'm happy with 7 on my PC's but if patches and drivers make 10 usable for my needs I'll probably take advantage of the "free" upgrade before it runs out on at least one PC. It may be that deep down in the code there are significant improvements (over Win7) but I don't see any immediately obvious ones on a brand new state of the art laptop? Shocked Perhaps if I'd been down the Win8 route they'd be more obvious?

The biggest issues with most new M$ OS's are that useful software packaged with drivers for peripherals like printers and scanners stop working Evil or Very Mad ...and sometimes even drivers don't work or don't get updated.

Geoff

lateagain

Back to top Go down

Post  Scampispeedway on Sun 11 Oct 2015, 10:53 am

Hi Everyone, just a note to say this morning I was surprised to see that the dreaded download KB3035583
had been re-installed again despite me hiding it as per the earlier instructions.
The Pop Up was not the same as the earlier one so I said no and rechecked the installed Updates and sure
enough it was there again, so I followed the same procedure but it seems to me that Microsoft have
twigged this procedure and got round it but I managed finally to hide the latest version after some difficulty.

Bob
Scampispeedway

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Sun 11 Oct 2015, 11:24 am

Hi Bob,
I had the same thing yesterday!

There is another update you need to hide : For Windows 7, it's KB2952664 and for Win 8.1 it's KB2976978

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Sun 11 Oct 2015, 3:54 pm

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Not only was KB3035583 back in the updates, but Windows 10 was also downloaded and was sitting there suggesting I install it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This surely can't be right to download unwanted stuff.
In addition I believe that Microsoft has been downloading updates to both Windows 7 and 8 that allows them to "snoop" on you and collect data! I understand that the following updates relate to this:-
KB3068708 - KB3022345 - KB3075249 - KB3080149
See HERE for some details on what they do!

Additional comments at 1615 hours!

I have checked and found I needed to uninstall all the referenced updates, and then run "check for updates" and "hide" the referenced updates. I have updates defined as download but let me chose whether to accept or not!. I did have KB3035583 defined as "hidden" but it still indtalled!

Last edited by rufuskins on Sun 11 Oct 2015, 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added more comments!)

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  Scampispeedway on Sun 11 Oct 2015, 5:43 pm

Hi Everyone, thanks very much for your help and checking all my Updates and sure enough the above
ones were there so  it was an easy job to un-install them and then check for updates and hide them.
Now that we know which ones to remove it's a easy job to keep an eye on things and don't have to get
pushed it having something you don't want.

Bob
Scampispeedway

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody on Tue 13 Oct 2015, 12:02 am

Scampispeedway wrote:Hi Everyone, thanks very much for your help and checking all my Updates and sure enough the above
ones were there so  it was an easy job to un-install them and then check for updates and hide them.
Now that we know which ones to remove it's a easy job to keep an eye on things and don't have to get
pushed it having something you don't want.

Bob

Hello everyone.
I too am being bombarded with this Windows 10 thing which I regard as SPAM.
I have W7 Home, How and where abouts on my computer can I locate and find the "Check for updates" The only thing I have been able to do is open the browser, with the start
button and type in check updates, I have one all of the time it says Windows 10 GET STARTED.......No Thanks.............Oh and it does not right click or for that matter
left click, There are no hide facilities Whatsoever.
Please could one of you experts guide me how to deal with this.
Many thanks
Andy

Andy Moody (AKA AJ52MDY on the UKTS site) West Moors, Dorset on the "Old Road" closed September 1964

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  Scampispeedway on Tue 13 Oct 2015, 9:25 am

Hi Andy, read my post which is the fifth one from the top on this topic and I tell everyone with the same
problem how to hide a update once installed.
Yes, once installed you can only delete it but as I say don't reboot your computer but check for Updates
and then Hide the relevant Updates available and now you can reboot the computer.
I've done this more than once as Windows are finding ways to re-install the Update despite you hiding
them.

Bob
Scampispeedway

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Tue 13 Oct 2015, 9:27 am

Hi Andy,
Go into the Control Panel and click on Windows Update; at the bottom left of the screen, you'll see "Installed Updates" - left-click on that, then, at the top right of the screen enter one of the KB numbers given in  Alec's post.  If it finds it, right-click on it and select Uninstall.  Do that for all the KB numbers and when completed, go back the the first Windows Updates screen and in the top left corner, left-click on "Check for Updates".  Let it find them and when finished, in the top middle of the screen you will see "x Important Updates are available" and/or "y Optional Updates are available".  Left-click one of them and on the next screen, look down the list for those KB numbers; for each one you match, right-click on it and select "Hide Update".  Left-click OK when all done and repeat for the other updates, if there are any.  NOTE : if you find a KB number in one set of updates, it won't be in the other.

Hope this helps Smile

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT : Sorry, Bob - your post just beat me to it! However, I've left mine as I wrote it because I don't think Andy is sure how to check for Windows Updates.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal on Tue 13 Oct 2015, 11:11 am

Hello Bob,Hello Ged,following your instructions I've erased the two offending updates....BUT
This was what I got

and when I tried to go to Check for updates I got

Sorry the pictures are so small but I wanted you to see exactly whats on Screen.

It seems to me that Windows 10 is nothing more than a VIRUS which Microsoft have Downloaded
without my permission,and they are actively stopping me from looking at ANY UPDATES until
I "install Win 10".     Regards Roger

Roger
neanderthal

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody on Tue 13 Oct 2015, 1:47 pm

slipperman12 wrote:Hi Andy,
Go into the Control Panel and click on Windows Update; at the bottom left of the screen, you'll see "Installed Updates" - left-click on that, then, at the top right of the screen enter one of the KB numbers given in  Alec's post.  If it finds it, right-click on it and select Uninstall.  Do that for all the KB numbers and when completed, go back the the first Windows Updates screen and in the top left corner, left-click on "Check for Updates".  Let it find them and when finished, in the top middle of the screen you will see "x Important Updates are available" and/or "y Optional Updates are available".  Left-click one of them and on the next screen, look down the list for those KB numbers; for each one you match, right-click on it and select "Hide Update".  Left-click OK when all done and repeat for the other updates, if there are any.  NOTE : if you find a KB number in one set of updates, it won't be in the other.

Hope this helps Smile

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT :  Sorry, Bob - your post just beat me to it!   However, I've left mine as I wrote it because I don't think Andy is sure how to check for Windows Updates.

Hi Ged.
I have got as far as deleting the update, I only have the option of restarting my computer now or restarting later!
Where is this "Check for updates? It appears to be hidden! All I can see in the top left hand screen is
Top:       Control panel home
Middle: Uninstall a program
Bottom  Turn windows features on and off

Is there something in the tools menu that needs to be opened or closed?
So where else can I find this Windows updates other than via the start button  I have just done that..... and like Roger  all I can see is the get started with windows 10 message.
Just going to restart my computer (the only option left open to me at present)
Any Help greatfully received.
Thamks anyway
Andy

Last edited by andrew moody on Tue 13 Oct 2015, 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Andy Moody (AKA AJ52MDY on the UKTS site) West Moors, Dorset on the "Old Road" closed September 1964

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Tue 13 Oct 2015, 1:53 pm

Hi Roger,
It's difficult to see the screens, but if you look just under "Control Panel Home" in the top left corner, you'll see "Check for Updates".

Also, if you look in the bottom left corner, you'll see "Installed Updates! - click on this and follow my instructions - I think you'll need to do this to stop Win 10 from downloading/installing.

However, if this doesn't work, don't panic!!  You can (according to Microsoft) revert to Win 7 without much trouble, BUT take it slowly, and come back if you need further help (from Win 10 if need be!!).

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal on Tue 13 Oct 2015, 4:43 pm

Hi Ged,
I dont know if my settings are different but I must go;
Start
Control Panel
System and Security
(   then the 4th row down )
.............................................Windows Update........................................
turn automatic updates on/off-----------check for updates........view installed updates

Since the Dreaded win 10 sign has appeared I do not appear to have had many updates,and the one's I have had have had to be downloaded by Advanced System care.
regards Roger.

Regards Roger

Last edited by neanderthal on Tue 13 Oct 2015, 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Enlared Pictures.)

Roger
neanderthal

Back to top Go down

Post  Scampispeedway on Tue 13 Oct 2015, 5:14 pm

Hi Roger, after deleting the update you must select restart later, if you restart straight away it will just
reload the deleted update and you will be back to square one.
Sometimes it is better to go back to your main screen and Check for Updates again following the path
you list to get the non installed updates which you can then select and Hide in either list.
Only after doing this can you close or restart your computer but it will take a little while to restart after
taking in all the changes you have made.

Bob
Scampispeedway

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody on Tue 13 Oct 2015, 5:57 pm

Hi Ged Bob Roger.
I am also getting exactly the same thing as Roger, who I assume has Windows 7.
I now have KB305583 currently removed from my system but when I open windows update (I did exactly the same as Roger) all I can see
is the dreaded upgrade to Windows 10 and get started.
Cheers
A very frustrated Andy

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Tue 13 Oct 2015, 6:13 pm

Hi Roger,
You appear to have downloaded, or the system has downloaded, the Win 10 upgrade !

As I don't run Advanced System Care, I don't know what it "takes over" from the user, so my suggestions might not work as I describe.

As far as I can see, you've got two options :
1. Let it carry on installing Windows 10 and when it's done (it'll takes quite some time) reverse it immediately (I don't have actual details, but please come back if you wish to choose this option).***
OR
2. Restore a System Restore from yesterday, or before :
Click Start button, right-click on Computer, left-click on Properties.  In top left corner of screen, left-click on "System Protection";  Left-click the System Restore button, left-click Next on the new screen which appears.  You will now see a list of Restore Points (but there may be only one); if one is dated yesterday or before, make sure it's highlighted then left-click the Next button.  Check the instructions on the new screen then left-click the Finish button.  The System Restore will now start - you MUST NOT interrupt it, otherwise your system might end up completely unusable!

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT :  Andy - I suggest you try one of the above options.

EDIT2 : ***See here to revert : http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Tue 13 Oct 2015, 6:31 pm

When I found that W10 had downloaded to my machine - see earlier post - I found it in the list of downloaded updates. I had already altered my update setting so that no updates were installed without my say so.
Anyway back to the W10 download. It was sat in the list as stated but had a "tick" in the box for installing! Obviously the download was designed to override my settings! I unticked the box and then right clicked and told it to be hidden. Touch wood, etc. it hasn't yet reappeared!
It's extremely annoying that MS seem to think that they can ride rough shod over our personal choices, although I'm not sure what can be done?

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  brace_2011 on Wed 14 Oct 2015, 11:15 am

slipperman12 wrote:
However, if this doesn't work, don't panic!!  You can (according to Microsoft) revert to Win 7 without much trouble, BUT take it slowly, and come back if you need further help (from Win 10 if need be!!).

I have also had these problems with Windows updates, although so far have manged to delete/hide the relevant updates so as to avoid installing Windows 10.  I gather from elsewhere that although I can revert to W7, installing W10 removes Windows Media Player (WMP), and reverting to W7 does not reinstall WMP.  I have never considered myself to be one of the seriously anti-Microsoft brigade, but this attempt by them to foist W10 on people regardless of their wishes has changed that.  How I now loathe Microsoft.  I will continue to try to do everything to avoid W10, but how can I tell them I DO NOT WANT W10 ON THIS MACHINE.

Martin

brace_2011

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Wed 14 Oct 2015, 3:53 pm

Hi Martin,
Set Windows Updates to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".  Then, check the list of updates for the rogue KB numbers; if any are present, hide them  and only then allow the remaining updates to be downloaded and installed.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  brace_2011 on Wed 14 Oct 2015, 4:07 pm

Hi Ged

Yes, I had already set my preferences to 'download but let me decide ...', but it appears that this week KB305583 (despite being hidden earlier) has mysteriously un-hidden itself, and appears, ticked ready for installation, in available updates.

Not good.

Martin

brace_2011

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Wed 14 Oct 2015, 4:12 pm

Hi Martin,
Set Windows Updates to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".  Click "Check for updates", then check the list for the rogue KB numbers; if any are present, hide them  and only then allow the remaining updates to be downloaded and installed

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody on Thu 15 Oct 2015, 12:51 pm

What Matin (Brace) says is really frightening, I Don't think that there is any way that my computer would automatically upgrade, but you never know.
I can get as far as after deleting the update, "Check for updates" and after a "Lengthy search" by the computer I can only see the dreaded Upgrade to Windows 10
Get Started!
There is no way I am able to hide anything.
I think as every time I delete the update it is renewed the next time I start my computer, I will have to bear with it.
I only wish that I knew how or where to find that Hide button!!!
Cheers
Andy

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Thu 15 Oct 2015, 1:53 pm

Hi Andy,
I Don't think that there is any way that my computer would automatically upgrade
There is, mate, if you have the Windows Update set to do so!
Open the Control Panel (Start button, left-click 'Control Panel')
If it displays the 8 Categories, left-click on 'System & Security' (top left), then left-click on 'Windows Update' (4th down on left).
If it displays the individual icons, left-click on 'Windows Update' which should be on the bottom row.
Once in the Windows Update screen, left-click on 'Change Settings' (left side).
On the "Choose how Windows can install updates" screen, under 'Important updates' is a drop-down box; if this says "Install updates automatically (Recommended)", click the down arrow and select "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" then click the OK button.
You are now in control of how your PC applies the updates Smile
It won't necessarily help with the Win 10 update which is waiting to install, but it's a start! Is it not possible to use System Restore to revert to a previous version of your system?

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells on Thu 15 Oct 2015, 3:23 pm

Hi Alec and Ged,

Thank you both for all the information on how to deal with the unwanted upgrade to W10. Until today there hadn't been any sign of it or the others mentioned by Alec. I have now hidden these updates and changed my update settings. Time will tell how successful we all are at blocking this unwanted upgrade. No doubt the time will come when we need to run W10 but I intend to stay with W7 as long as possible.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Thu 15 Oct 2015, 3:38 pm

Hi Stephen,
From my limited testing of MSTS under Windows 10, there doesn't seem to be anything to be too concerned about; it runs much the same as under Win 7. All the installation recommendations which apply back to Vista should also be followed for Win 10.

The main point I don't like is that there is no way to choose whether to install updates or not, but I stand to be corrected as I think there is a difference between Win 10 Home and Win 10 Pro.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Thu 15 Oct 2015, 7:07 pm

You are right Ged. You cannot prevent automatic updates for W10 if you have HOME, but allegedly you can disable this with PRO and make your own choice!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody on Thu 15 Oct 2015, 7:49 pm

......And also thanks from me as well.
Have followed your advice Ged and changed my settings so will see what happens next.
I have also uninstalled those four other updates that Alec referred to four days ago but looking at the link as to what they do, I have to say that I am non the wiser.
But thanks to you both anyway.
Cheers
Andy

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Thu 15 Oct 2015, 7:58 pm

Hi Andy,
Now you've uninstalled them, when you next check for updates, they will re-appear in the list of available updates. It's at this stage when you right-click each one and select the "Hide update" option.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal on Thu 15 Oct 2015, 8:22 pm

Hello all,well,after following this thread I decided "what the hell" and have installed Win 10,its free and as there is a "Roll back to 7" period I thought I'd be daring and have a go.
I certainly agree with Ged in so much as I'm not happy about having no control over downloads,but I've never quite worked out how you find out what a Download is going to do until its Downloaded anyway (way above my head).

So I now have Win 10 Home but contrary to what I expected it doesn't seem to be too bad.And,so tonight I've tried to do NWE "Carlisle to Euston" on OR,which does seem to run,,whereas MSTS will not.

I'm not sure where I will go from here,as I'm already missing MSTS,though on OR I've run from Carlisle to Preston without a C2D,which is GOOD,I have trouble with the Brakes which is bad.
Decisions, Decisions .................Regards Roger.

Roger
neanderthal

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Thu 15 Oct 2015, 10:19 pm

Hi Roger,
Why doesn't MSTS run? If it's because you're running an AMD graphics card, there is a work-around, which is still working after 2 days ago!!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:03 pm

" />

Hello Ged ,that's all I get if I try to open MSTS,but yes that didn't surprise me as I am running an AMD Graphic's card.My boy is bringing over a Nvidia (spelling ?) at the weekend to try.Could you point me in the direction of this "work around" so I can see if its within my PC savvy to have a go......Regards  Roger. Sad

Roger
neanderthal

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 4:17 pm

I can confirm that Microsoft has "sneakily" downloaded the folder for installing W10 to millions of PCs running W7 and W8, and never mind whether you didn't request this. I suppose that this may be OK if you intend to use it in the future, but if like me you don't want it yet - if at all - then I would recommend getting a copy of Computer Active (No 460 dated 14-27/10/15). On page 42 it gives a simple method on how to uninstall KB3035583 and hide it. However the downloaded folder with W10 will still be sat on your C drive, and the article gives simple guidance on how to delete it. The total size of this folder is well over 2GB, and hence takes up space that can be used for your own use!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 6:08 pm

Hi Roger,
See post #16 here : http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?322502-Will-Windows-10-support-AMD-graphic-card-in-MSTS/page3

I've just checked and the MSTS_AMD_BUGFIX.exe file is still available, but I suggest you use the "Download through your browser" option!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 9:18 am

As Victor Meldrew would say "I don't believe it!" I went through all of the steps recommended by the "experts", and lo and behold the Windows 10 download was sitting in my updates area this morning within the optional updates including a tick in the left hand box. Once again I've the removed the tick and right clicked to "Hide" it, but I can't help feeling Microsoft have included some sort of routine to over ride the Hide command for this download! I've also discovered that the optional update KB3021917 is also linked to this. I've uninstalled and hidden this but I have no confidence that Microsoft will respect this. I can say quite loudly that I have lost respect for Microsoft, as I have always thought that this sort of cold calling was unacceptable. Once again I can also say that I don't want 3GB of my SSD taken up with unwanted software!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 1:33 pm

Hi Alec,
It appears that KB3021917 has been around since Feb 2015 and, although it is targeted at Win 7 users, it is only relevant to those who are (were?) testing Win 10.

When you saw it in your list of updates, if it wasn't ticked then it wasn't selected for download/installation, but you did right by hiding it.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 3:51 pm

That KB had been installed - not sure why - at a time when I thought MS were playing with a straight bat! Would you believe it but once again W10 has downloaded despite earlier "hiding" it! Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad
One possible thing I've discovered is that if an Update is Repackaged (i.e. using the same KB number) then it may well over-ride a "hidden update" setting and will reappear on the list?
I would have thought that MS's approach is to all intents and purposes a form of cold calling, which is supposedly not acceptable in law?

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 5:50 pm

Well Alec,I gave up and installed W10 and will try it for a while,but being as my Contract with TT is up at the end of January I may just call it a Day and give up on Windows.It is indeed sad that Microsoft think so little of their user's that they have treated us in this way.I am trying out open Rails,but don't think it's for me - so really I am out of   Evil or Very Mad options. Twisted Evil Regards,

Roger
neanderthal

Back to top Go down

Post  Scampispeedway on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 6:34 pm

Hi Ged, looking elsewhere there have been loads of complaints about Microsoft pushing Win 10 on to you
but now say they stopped doing it but I don't believe that for one minute since they apparently were  still
doing it after they said they would stop.
I've also changed my settings to not install Updates Automatically but let me choose from the list, that way I
can keep tabs on what is going on.

Bob
Scampispeedway

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 11:56 pm

Hi,
Bob : Yes, I think that's the best way to deal with it. Although it takes a little more time, it's worth it not to have to clear up the mess every few days!!

Roger : Pardon my ignorance, but what is "TT"??

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal on Sun 18 Oct 2015, 9:54 am

Sorry Ged, TT = Talk Talk...regards Roger Embarassed

Roger
neanderthal

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Sun 18 Oct 2015, 10:21 am

Thanks, mate Smile
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Scampispeedway on Thu 05 Nov 2015, 3:13 pm

Hi Everyone, as you know I get a messages telling me that new Windows updates are available but one
or two were for Windows Messenger and so I installed them.
This left quite a few un-installed so last night I took note of the numbers and did a search using Google
and this revealed that they were really for Windows 8 and some had trouble after installing them in their
Windows 7 machines and so deleted them but have now hidden them when they saw them again.
The numbers are as follows KB2574819, KB2592687, KB2830477, KB3080079, KB3095649 and
lastly KB3102810.
As you will guess I took the same action and hide them all and will check any updates before I take any
action with them.

Bob
Scampispeedway

Back to top Go down

Post  gswindale on Sun 08 Nov 2015, 3:16 pm

brace_2011 wrote:  I gather from elsewhere that although I can revert to W7, installing W10 removes Windows Media Player (WMP), and reverting to W7 does not reinstall WMP.  
This assumption is incorrect if you install W10 via the upgrade process - certainly on my machine WMP is still running as badly as it always did (Not that I've ever found anything better!).

All I need to do is work out why my registry changes don't correctly allow Trainstore to operate with my miniroutes like it did under W7?

Truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
gswindale

http://www.makingtracks-online.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Sun 08 Nov 2015, 4:49 pm

Hi Geoffrey,
Have you set Train Store to "Run as administrator"?

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  gswindale on Sun 08 Nov 2015, 7:58 pm

Hi Ged,

I haven't - I don't think it was set as such on W7 either.

I've now changed it to run as administrator; and it seems to be working now!

Cheers
Geoffrey

Truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
gswindale

http://www.makingtracks-online.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins on Fri 13 Nov 2015, 11:12 pm

Microsoft have obviously slipped W10 download into one of the latest updates, as it has once again appeared in my optional updates with a tick in the box! Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top