Thoughts on Open Rails

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thoughts on Open Rails

Post  rufuskins on Wed 01 Jul 2015, 2:38 pm

It has been interesting to see simmers now trying to get to grips with Open Rails, and it is obvious that OR is not a direct replacement for MSTS. Thankfully we can make use of MSTS routes and stock, but in terms of stock it is becoming apparent that driving an activity in OR is a different experience to that in MSTS. Again that is only to be expected as OR is meant to be more than an MSTS clone. I read with interest various simmers' experiences with OR, which of course should highlight those differences and allow ENG/WAG files to be modified to suit. I shall continue to observe with interest.

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Re: Thoughts on Open Rails

Post  NiallGray on Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:19 pm

I like Open Rails, but until there's OR-specific tools for it, ie route-builder, my interest is limited to just "playing" it.

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 on Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:46 pm

Since OR reached V1 status I have been using it more, it still has a long way to go but the latest improvements have made it more useable.

I am now using OR to test my latest activity (and hopefully the first act to be made available via download) the autopilot mode is especially useful for activity testing, any timings I achieve in OR should be attainable in MSTS, but not necessarily the other way round.

Mark
Markh5682

http://www.youtube.com/user/markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  OldVern on Thu 13 Oct 2016, 8:17 am

I thought I would add this here rather than starting a new topic.

I've been running Thames Trent V2 in ORTS and very enjoyable too, but there is one annoyance that I've noted on one or two other routes too. That is, sometimes when you enter a curved section, the track texture will revert to a very crude default style rather than display the texture the route builder chose. Rather destroys the sense of immersion and realism. Anyone else found this and do we know of a cure?

OldVern

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Thu 13 Oct 2016, 9:23 am

Hi Vern
I believe this effect is caused by using (I  think it's called) "Track Elevation", from the "Experimental" tab.  The system is unable to convert certain sections of track and, as you say, reverts to the MSTS default.  I'm sure it'd be better to run with Track Elevation un-selected!

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  RIGFindlay on Thu 13 Oct 2016, 11:10 am

I have been following Open Rails developments. Some routes work well, but on LSE I get frame rates of 7 where I have 60 on MSTS. R.

RIGFindlay

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 on Thu 13 Oct 2016, 1:06 pm

Hi,
@Vern - Apologies! I should have said "Super Elevation" instead of "Track Elevation" Embarassed

@Roderic - I've just started a sample activity in LSE and got about 60fps in Windowed mode and 50+ in Full Screen mode. Obviously, the values you get will depend on your processor and graphics card, but make sure that the Viewing Distance is not too high - try the default value of 2000m and see if it's any better. Also, don't use Super Elevation; keep everything as near to default as possible, then, if that's OK, you can add one "enhancement" at a time and see its effect.

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  RIGFindlay on Thu 13 Oct 2016, 2:59 pm

Thanks. I'll give it a go. Roderic

RIGFindlay

Back to top Go down

Post  IsambardKingdomBrunel on Tue 15 Nov 2016, 11:21 pm

slipperman12 wrote:Hi Vern
I believe this effect is caused by using (I  think it's called) "Track Elevation", from the "Experimental" tab.  The system is unable to convert certain sections of track and, as you say, reverts to the MSTS default.  I'm sure it'd be better to run with Track Elevation un-selected!

Cheers,
Ged

There isn't as far as i know the necessary profile created for UKFS track to enable a correctly drawn trackbed when SE is in use.
IsambardKingdomBrunel

Back to top Go down

Post  brace_2011 on Wed 16 Nov 2016, 10:14 am

Have a look at the download in post #7 in this thread on Elva's Tower.  It works really well for me.  I have also modified all the UKFS shapes to remove the shimmering track, but I believe that permissions issues preclude uploading.  

CLICK HERE

Martin

brace_2011

Back to top Go down

Post  Csantucci on Wed 16 Nov 2016, 12:58 pm

I'm the author of the OR track profile you mention. You are free to upload it wherever you like.

Csantucci

Back to top Go down

Post  brace_2011 on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 3:45 pm

Thanks Carlo. However, my reference to permissions related to my modified UKFS shape files rather than your OR track profile (for which thanks) which is still freely available in the ET forum link I included above.

Martin

brace_2011

Back to top Go down

Post  emufarmer on Thu 29 Dec 2016, 12:52 pm

I use OR all the time for Testing my Route Building which is is done in the MSTS Editor.

Frank
emufarmer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top